Could it be? I will just post the pictures..

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Andrew HK-coins, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Andrew HK-coins

Andrew HK-coins Make your own luck.

So this week has been pretty good for me. yesterday I picked up an 1878 S Morgan that is so fine I am considering sending it to PCGS.

So here it is Saturday night, and just when I think it can't get any better, it does. I'm going through a roll of pennies I purchased from an old timer (a guy who has sold me some VERY nice pieces for a reduced price) and what do I find?

Not one, but TWO 1943 Wheat Pennies!!

So, what do you all think? 1943 wheat penny jackpot 1.png 1943 wheat penny jackpot 2.png View attachment 523917

wonderwoman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. smarch

smarch Active Member

Nice specimens, I'm a fool for the '43s.

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I enjoy the 1943 cents and have a couple of uncirculateds to die for...unfortunately no pictures, so you can still live:)

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There were 684 million+ of the 1943 (Philly) struck, and so many of them were saved that uncirculated specimens are very common.

As for the 1878S Morgan, if it doesn't grade MS65, I wouldn't submit it. Do you have photos?

Chris

6. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

The 1943 cents don't have much value, but sure are interesting! I have always liked the ww2 coins.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

43s may be common but there hard to find in circ so many non collectors hoard them thinking they may be valuable. Love the factoids as well... There the only magnetic circulating US coin, and the only one without even a drop of copper. Nice finds!

8. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Indeed. I have a roll of unc. 1943 that I bought at auction in 1977 for $12. Probably would have been better to invest the money elsewhere. (not that they were bought as an investment) image.jpeg

Mad Stax likes this.
  9. Andrew HK-coins

Ahh I never posted the Morgan. I would love to get everyone's opinion or what you all think it'd grade. I mean, maybe i am biased, but i can't stop looking at this coi...i think I have an MS64-65 for sure, maybe a 67 because of how high the details and original luster.

morgan 1878 S nice 1.png morgan 1878 S nice 2.png morgan dollar close up new.png

wonderwoman likes this.
  10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but that Morgan - to me - shows noticeable circulation wear. An Uncirculated coin would not reflect light so readily from the higher points of the reverse, having the original Mint finish. Mint State devices don't have to be "frosty" but they shouldn't be "bright" either.

The images aren't large enough for appropriate evaluation, and one must always factor the chance for digital imagery to deceive, but from what I see here I'd call the coin AU55.

Andrew HK-coins likes this.
  11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Always cool to find Wheaties, especially steelies.

As for the Morgan: can't tell if it is AU or UNC from those pictures, but it is definitely NOT 65 or higher. If it is UNC, I'd call it 64 (from the pics, it looks nice).

12. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

You are biased indeed :) I'd say MS63...? I don't see any wear, but it's hard to tell from your pics. If this coin had a shot at MS66/67, it would already be in a slab.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  13. Andrew HK-coins

I probably should have noted, because you are right indeed.. the picture was taken with the coin in a coin holder, and I was in my garage where I have a white light overhead, so that is probably what caused the bright looking reflection.

14. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Nice Morgan but way to many distracting marks on the obverse for me to think above 63

15. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

That is relevant enough so I'd be quite ready to change my opinion with images taken under more favorable circumstances. First thing is to always remove the coin from whatever is holding it, to cut down on the possibility of distracting reflections.

16. Andrew HK-coins

Thank you @SuperDave that is something I definitely overlooked. I was afraid to take it because a coin like that i always feel like if I touch it something will go wrong lol. I am going to take it out and snap some new photos.

Thanks again!

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

With any 1943 cents that look close to BU or AU, it is good to look carefully at the edges. Since the blanks were stamped out of zinc plated steel and not plated after punching, you should see a difference in the edge of the coin as steel will be a different color as the zinc layer. Reprocessed coins ( with new zinc plated over cleaned coins, the edge will be the same as the faces as re-plating does the whole coin. Jim

Insider and Kentucky like this.
  18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted