Cotton vs Latex (Gloves)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Endeavor, Jul 5, 2014.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I understand that latex gloves may have powder on them which can end up on the coin, and cotton gloves can scratch up a coin... but how about microfiber gloves?

And, I understand that one can lose grip with gloves, but if you are sitting at a desk with a soft pad or microfiber cloth directly below the coin when handling, I think that drastically reduces the risk of grip loss due to gloves and the consequent damage to the coin.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There is no cloth, including microfiber cloth, that will not scratch or hairline a coin.

And yes, having a folded towel or something soft under your hands when you handle a coin will help reduce the risk of damage to the coin if it is dropped. With the key word being reduce since the towel or cloth can itself hairline the coin if the coin strikes it. But having the cloth there in no way reduces the risk of grip loss.

The best way to reduce the risk of grip loss is to not wear gloves, of any kind. That is why professionals do not wear gloves.

4. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Yes, I mis-typed about the grip loss, meant reduce the risk of damage if dropped.

5. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

What does NGC or PCGS do if one of the graders drops the coin?

Would they even mention it?

Or, is that risk assumed by the submitter, so they'll mention it but do nothing about it... not even a free submission for that coin...?

6. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Also, what if you "palm" the coin with latex gloves?

Specifically, the coin is wrapped in your palm and your thumb and forefinger grips the rims. It should afford some more dexterity - is there a better technique when using gloves? I'm not suggesting that it offers more dexterity over bare hands/fingers. Just covering technique with gloves.

I'm thinking of trying latex gloves for proof coins because I ended up getting a finger print on the mirrored, shiny proof rim once. And, I don't feel comfortable with cotton gloves due to the risk of hairline scratches. And yes, my hands are clean. Though I guess perspiration is inevitable.

Endeavor likes this.
  7. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Well everyone pretty much shot me to hell in this thread, but for roll hunting where you are most likely not going to find anything that valuable I would still use gloves. Who cares about dexterity. Besides it's not like the coin is going to fall 5 feet onto a hard floor. I roll hunt sitting down and right above a soft surface.

For proofs I used to use cotton gloves. I haven't handled a raw proof in a while, which is why I say "used to".

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I care about dexterity so I don't drop the coin. That's why the next coin I pick up wearing a glove will be the first-ever. With that said, my hands sweat very little, and if yours do gloves are definitely recommended.

If you're going to wear gloves, make them tight-fitting latex. That will give you the traction to pick a coin up safely when laying flat and is the least compromise of "feel."

9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Grader, Founding Member

Good question. I know they are all insured but say a grader drops a coin that didn't make a big rim ding or gouge and say that it turned a 64 into a 63 and the grader wasn't the wiser because he hadn't examined the coin yet because he dropped it or slid it as it was being removed from the flip? I'm sure they have procedures in place to avoid stuff like this from happening but it's still a good existential situation discussion topic though imo

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Do not bump posts, I know other forums allow it, but they live or die on their own here. Thanks

11. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Maybe for a separate thread? I don't want to be hijacking the original thread.

Also, must all coins be insured? I have yet to send my coins in to NGC, so I'm unsure. I'll make a thread here with which coins to send in. I'll do that as soon as I get my next couple shipments in and I'll finally send it in lol.

And, I do wonder what PCGS/NGC/ANACS/ICG's procedures are if they dropped a coin from a serious height and dinged the coin pretty badly, going from a high MS6X to a much, much lower grade.

Ok will do.

And, I'm interpreting this as, replying to an old thread with added commentary is fine, but bumping an unanswered post is no good. Though, hypothetically speaking, if it's a recent post and if everyone goes off on a tangent, I'm not supposed to type "bump" but rather ask that question again (or is asking again not allowed since that's the equivalent of bumping?), or if it's off-topic then I should probably make a new thread on it. Some rules are difficult for me to understand/follow, but it's a "it's not you, it's me" thing since I always see them interpreted multiple ways lol.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted