Correcting an erroneous write-up: M. Junius Silanus denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

At the end of 2015 I did a write-up on the following coin:

M. Jumius Silanus denarius.jpg

It is an M. Junius Silanus denarius minted circa 145 BCE.

At the time I hypothesized that the ass head behind Roma had something to do with the family name Brutus, a pun of sorts:

*The Juni Sillani were a distant offshoot of the family of the famous Brutus who expelled the kings from Rome and founded the Republic.

And to further make the write-up interesting, I provided a write-up on the man behind the coin: See thread here:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/mysteries-of-the-m-junius-silanus-denarius-145-bce-revealed.271125/

In that thread, I stated that he had held a position as mint director in 160 BCE provincial quaestor in 159 BCE. Unfortunately, that information is erroneous. I fell for the oldest trick in the Roman book, fathers and sons with nearly identical names. Recently, I was doing further study on the man behind this coin, when I discovered my error, and I feel compelled to correct it even if it was a long time ago.

It seems like the M. Junius Silanus behind this coin was actually mint director in 145 BCE, which would make sense as this coin dates to 145 BCE. Furthermore, it appears that he was a Tribune of the People in 124 or 123 BCE, when he introduced a law curbing the abuses of Roman governors on the provinces. Apparently, there was a crisis with Roman governors robbing Greek provincials blind, and the problem got so bad that it threatened to destabilize the provinces. This is something historian Tom Holland briefly mentioned in his book "Rubicon: The Triumph and Tragedy of the Roman Republic", a book which I recently read and which got me to re-research M. Junius Silanus. I became suspicious that there was no way it could be the same M. Junius Silanus of 160 BCE. Far too much time had passed. That is how I discovered my error.

Furthermore, the correct M. Junius Silanus, whom minted the above coin, was the first Juni Sillani (a newer off branch of the Juni family) to reach the post of consul, which he did in 109 BCE. Unfortunately for him, he led the Roman Army against the Cimbri and was badly defeated. He had the misfortune of then being sued by Gnaeus Domitius Ahenobarbus over his terrible defeat of 109 BCE, which according to Cicero, Silanus just barely managed to avoid a guilty verdict. We know nothing else about him, as he probably died shortly after, though some of his later descendants appeared to have been consuls during the time of the early Empire.

Please accept my apologies for dragging this back up, but I believe it is important to correct erroneous information.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Also, I do not expect nor desire any likes for this thread. I'm just trying to correct erroneous information I put out there for others to consume. Thanks for your understanding.

Alegandron likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Regardless of the flagrantly false information provided by one @Sallent, this is a fine example. So in the interest of the coin, and not the author, I have provided another "like". :cigar:

Sallent likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Did you put the correction in the original thread? If not, that's probably the best place for it. When someone does a search and comes across your old thread, they may think that information is correct, so it's probably best to correct mistakes within the thread where they appear.

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

7. Sallent

I see. I can't edit the OP post then to include a link to the correction. I added the link to a new post.

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

This is why I enjoy my Brutus / Ahala Denarius... it celebrates the First Consul of Rome, Brutus, in 506BCE expelled the last King of Rome. Great job with the write up and correction

Sallent likes this.
  9. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I bet if you messaged a moderator to let them know that you accidentally included inaccurate numismatic information on an old thread they'd be willing to change it for you or to add a comment noting the mistake on the OP (sounds like you made a mistake that could have easily happened to anyone).

Perhaps @GDJMSP could help?

Alegandron likes this.
  10. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I like this thread
    I like the Roman Republic
    I like the coin
    I like Sallent
    I like Sallent's write-up
    I like Sallient's correction
    I like the replies to this thread

Marsyas Mike and Sallent like this.
  11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:penguin:

I love the coin

=> the ass symbol is a total winna

Man, I love this version of the tune!! (makes me happy, everytime)

Thanks for correcting your original thread ... oh, and thanks for introducing me to this awesome tune, gang!!

:rolleyes:

This place rocks

=> Congrats again on obtaining such a sweet, sweet coin, dawg!!

Alegandron and TIF like this.
  12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I agree with everything except liking Sallent. Really? Only jokes coin bro.

stevex6 likes this.
  13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I can do ya one better. @Sallent - I just changed the editing time limit for you. You now have 3 days (till Fri night) to go and edit that thread in whatever way you wish to do so.

dougsmit, Alegandron and Curtisimo like this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

What we have here is a good example of the advantage of online posting over books. If you discover, after seconds or years, you made a mistake, sometimes it is possible to correct it and not have to live with that error for the duration. My first published error was in the May 1965 issue of "The Voice of the Turtle". I have been living with that error (oirginators) for almost 52 years now. Unfortunately, that was neither my last now most grievous error in print media. Thanks to GDJMSP for saving Sallent from a half century of regret. :bookworm:

Sallent and Curtisimo like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted