Coronavirus just shut my CRH down! Has it effected you?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by DatDareNickelGuy, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Hello, Hope everyone is surviving the PR Pandemic out there. This is my first post on the forum seeking help determining what is going on with a coin. I usually can just spending an afternoon ready decade old threads on here to learn about what I think I’m seeing and typically learn what I know I am not. I am posting to this thread because someone with the handle nickelguy probably would know about a nickel. Here are some pictures of the nickel I have and i am asking anyone to let me know there opinion it and what could cause the abnormality.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Seems to me, if you’re stuck at home, you should have nothing but time. Maybe with a little assistance from a counting machine, you could get those bad boys rolled up?

My CU hasn’t shut down their lobbies yet, because they don’t get a ton of foot traffic anyway. Maybe you could find a smaller bank?

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

It would help if you posted photos in the appropriate forum and told us what you think you see. Most of us have had to forgo using our crystal balls in our seance rooms because they are deemed non-essential services. ~ Chris

DatDareNickelGuy likes this.
  5. DatDareNickelGuy

DatDareNickelGuy Well-Known Member

Don't know if I'm the first on here for this..... But........ San Antonio just got put on lock down effective at 11:59pm tomorrow till April 9th. :(

But on a positive note I picked up this shield nickel for $30. A great deal in the condition it is in. VF maybe?

20200323_205059(1).jpg 20200323_205035(1).jpg

Paul M. likes this.
  6. Larry Squires

Larry Squires Member

Dropped off a couple boxes of quarters yesterday - couldn't get any more. So, I started combing through items I'd put aside for further inspection.

By the way... anyone else having a hard time finding the San Antonio and Idaho W-mintmark quarters? I'm starting to think the Loomis' and Brooks' of the world are holding back. I'm searching 4-10 boxes a month, and I'm loading up on the other 3 W's. But, I can't find the last 2. So, looking forward to starting fresh after the COVID-19 break.... with better results.

7. drewish

drewish New Member

A bank turned me away the other day because apparently "everyone is turning in half dollars" and they didn't have any room so I'm sort of stuck with them. My CU was kind enough to order me a BUNCH of boxes so I wouldn't have to order for a few weeks. I'm done picking up anymore coins from anywhere for the near future. It is going to take me quite a while to dump all of those boxes when I'm finally able to get back out.

@Larry Squires I lucked out a month or so ago and got mostly uncirculated boxes with quite a good number of those in question. I'm having trouble finding the Guam issue in my neck of the woods. I'm thinking I may have missed the boat on them unless I can find a box stashed away somewhere.

8. Larry Squires

Larry Squires Member

@drewish - I had several of those boxes mid-2019 and, like a dumb ass, I didn't realize the 2019-W's were in circulation (so I probably let a few go). Those damn number in question have been elusive, however. See PM.

9. DatDareNickelGuy

DatDareNickelGuy Well-Known Member

Figure I would do a update. Looks like things MIGHT open up around May 18th in my neck of the woods. I can turn in $1200 in nickels and get more boxes for my main thread (Im sure my credit union is going to love my $1200 nickel return in one day!)

But I am curious if things are getting better where you hunt?
    Is it getting worse?

I have noticed a few people hunting with no problems. Doesn't seem this covid thing has effected there coin roll hunting area.

10. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

Interesting. I was never shut down. I get about $1,500.00 a week in halves and all customer wrapped coin turned in throughout the week. The only thing I had to do was add a mask while I'm in the branch.

11. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

My banks have closed lobby's.....However my main bank is getting me a box of nickels weekly and letting me pick them up......less then i'am used to but better then nothing. I have been doing quarters 10 rolls at a time, those I can re-roll deposit pretty easily. I have used a coinstar , but chose the gift card option so nothing withheld. Chose the Home Depot card. I figure I can ALWAYS use that instead of my CC when I need too. It's not hard to spend a couple hundred at HD.

DatDareNickelGuy and TexAg like this.
  12. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Are you finding more silver than usual? Just wondered if people are having to cash in during this downturn.

13. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

I haven't seen an uptick in silver in any of the customer coin. I have seen a tremendous amount of coin coming in, obviously people are trying to use whatever they have and busting piggy banks is up there. It is hit and miss though, and I get other stuff I haven't seen in awhile. For example: I got about $150.00 in customer coin last week. I found a silver quarter, silver dime, silver nickel, but then I found 91 wheat cents in 14 rolls of cents. They weren't all in the same rolls either, so probably an old stash being rolled up.

TexAg and furryfrog02 like this.
  14. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

My dump bank opened back up to almost normal. They put up a sign that reads "if you are sick or coughing or even think you might have allergies or smokers cough, please use the atm or drive thru instead of coming inside just in case, thank you".

My get banks are still closed, some stupid supermarkets are still doing line ups and one in/one out with 10 at a time max. And you have to wear a mask also. Most other supermarkets are just doing masks and using the PA to remind people to follow the arrows on the floor and be mindful of 6 feet of space between people.

I dunno, this whole thing is a mess really. They let in a moron wearing a batman mask that just covers the top of his head and eyes and leaves his mouth and nostrils open because he argued "it's a mask! It's a mask! I'm following Your rules!" Damn scofflaws!

We opened up partially on monday here. Business and people I guess are doing whatever they want some being overly cautious others not being nearly cautious enough. I just hope things stay cool long enough to give me a coin roll hunting window of a few weeks. I don't think it's too much to ask.. lol

furryfrog02 likes this.
  15. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

As places in my small west Texas city open back up, my banks have services that range from strictly motor bank service to being let into the lobby by an attendant or security guard making sure no more than a few enter at a time. One of my favorite tellers told me their lobby activity is super slow. She sounded worried, like maybe hours or jobs will get cut. I will do my best to keep her busy!

My church resumed Mass last weekend with masks required, a person spraying sanitizer on your hands as you enter, major distancing between parishioners in the pews, and communion in the hand only. A disinfectant wipe down of the pews and no congregating together after Mass. I like the safety protocols and abide by them. Folks are timid about going back to church. We had about 60 people vs. 400 or so at that particular Mass. The church holds 1000 to give you an idea of how much space there was. I expect more people this Sunday as people venture out.

One observation I have - fewer people are wearing masks now compared to a few weeks ago. For those of you who live in states that are slower to open up, I expect you’ll see the same trend.

On a positive note, I finally got around to washing my 4Runner. I hadn’t washed it since the quail season opened in late October, I’m not proud of that! CoVid was my excuse for the last 2 months, lol. It was so dirty, it took me 3 hours to wash and wax it at the coin operated car wash. The pressure sprayer still left a layer of grime that required a lot of elbow grease with sponge and soapy water to remove. I forgot it was metallic flake, lol. Anyways, it looks much nicer now!

B29A8547-4322-446B-BC59-F1265253CB09.jpeg

16. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I wonder how many months of being "open" we will have until we get slammed by the second wave. Especially when people aren't observing basic things like wearing a mask and/or social distancing.

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Some seriousness and I'm sure you're correct. Butvuou had humorous spots and I got a good laugh. Thank you.

TexAg likes this.
  18. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

My CU dump bank opened its lobby but my get banks still havent. I've been paying attention around lately and all the people at the supermarkets in my area are still standing after this. They've been careful check their temp daily, maintain the 6ft distance or more and wear a covering over their mouth and nose.

I figure I will continue to do the same thing as things slowly open at their own paces. And just continue wearing the masks and avoiding crowds. It's not a big hardship considering the other option.

I've been working this whole time so as far as that's concerned it's been good for me but nowhere much to blow my cash besides paying off debt and saving.

I think if people get stupid, it's going to get stupid again. But I think if we carry on with masks and distancing the R0 will stay at 1 or less and this thing won't be so impactful. I'm no scientist though, just observations. I'm sure people at supermarkets are getting sick but it's very limited because I see the same faces every time I go.

Hopefully people can behave and we can have some nice things for a while maybe not get pounded by a 2nd wave.

TexAg likes this.
  19. Corn Man

Corn Man Well-Known Member

Ive been coin roll hunting through this and dumping and collecting though the drive through is a preaty gnarly experience. My favorite moment was getting a quarter box through my car window and dropping it on the pavement

20. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Yes, thank goodness for the Commercial Lane window and drawer!

21. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

I think there are a few things to consider.

1) (just a guess) banks have been doing much less cash business during the shut down because much less cash is being spent in stores. Therefore, they have had 3 months to ship out extra coins on hand back to Loomis, or whoever, and keep only small amounts of coins necessary for daily transactions once they reopen. Whatever that daily coin on hand amount is, banks often exceed it while waiting for Loomis weekly pick ups and deliveries. This means when they reopen their won't be a whole lot for us to search through until things return to normal. That could take awhile.

2) While a positive is that in hard economic times people turn in coins, we already had hard times during the great recession. So we have had many years pass for people to turn in old silver containing coins. How many could possibly be left in grandpa's drawer to cash in?

3) grandpa is probably dead from covid19, so it might take awhile to go through his stuff and find out.

Draft saved Draft deleted