Cornelia Supera

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Jul 14, 2021.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Little is known in History about this woman. Cornelia Supera was the wife of Amelian. Very few coins from Roman colonies mention her. The reverse of this coin reads in circle: CEBASMIA. Hope someone help me to guess the mint, at least. Thanks.

CornSup O.JPG CornlSup R.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

7Calbrey likes this.
  4. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  5. 7Calbrey

Thanks. But the coin you show me reads : OTAC SEVERA. Mine reads CORNEL SUPER. What you say ?

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Similar type - Otacilia Severa of Damascus and yours of Cornelia Supera at Damascus a few years later. CEBA/CMIA enclosed in wreath.

ominus1, Roman Collector and 7Calbrey like this.
  7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Cornelia Supera, wife of Aemelian, Augusta, 253 CE.
    Roman provincial Æ 20.5mm, 3.78 g, 7 h.
    Mysia, Parium, AD 253.
    Obv: G CORN SUPERA, diademed and draped bust right.
    Rev: C. G. I. H. P., Capricorn right, cornucopiae on back; globe between legs (Sear describes as a star, but his exemplar in the British Museum depicts a globe with an equinoctial cross, giving it the appearance of a star).
    Refs: RPC IX, 382; SGI 4408; SNG Von Aulock 7448.

8. 7Calbrey

Now I own the coin. It weighs 8.3 g. The coin has apparently no reference with this reverse for Cornelia Supera. Some experts might suspect that the legend on obverse had been tooled to read Cornel instead of Otac for Otacilia Severa. Here's a close clear shot of the legend which reads CORNELS, the s is attached to the letter L.

Cornelsup O.JPG

Alegandron likes this.
  9. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

When I first saw this post, the coin didn't quite make sense to me... for Damascus, one would expect a G first in the obverse legend (for Gaia), the type isn't known for Supera in RPC, and the second half of the obverse legend didn't really make sense. Looks like: ON something-something AVG.

Hypothesis: this is actually a coin of Salonina. Her first name was Cornelia (not preceded with G) and there are coins of hers from Damascus which have very similar obverses, including the somewhat wonky legend:

[​IMG]
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=8273728 (obverse die match?)

[​IMG]
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5660422

What do you think? Unfortunately I can't check RPC for this coin, as that volume hasn't been published online yet. Does anyone have the reference?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I agree with @Severus Alexander that the legend most likely reads CORNEL SALONINA. You can see an "ON" very clearly in front of the empress' forehead.

7Calbrey and Severus Alexander like this.
  11. 7Calbrey

Yes. Salonina. Thanks a lot for your very appreciated efforts. When I solve an enigma of a coin, I feel myself free. There are coins of Salonina which were struck in Damascus, on Wildwinds. But not this reverse. Other sources might show up.

Roman Collector likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted