Corinth Stater Help!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by CoinMike747, Jan 21, 2014.

1. CoinMike747

CoinMike747 Barber Connoisseur

Hello my fellow ancient friends,

I've been watching this coin for a while now, and it is ending in just a few hours. However, before I pulled the bidding trigger I thought it may be beneficial for me to run it before Doug and other more experienced individuals. The coin is a Corinth Stater and would be the apex of my ancient collection, but I was wondering what your thoughts would be in terms of authenticity and value. I've already compared to to other known fakes located on this database: http://forgerynetwork.com/default.aspx?keyword=corinth
    and haven't had anything stand out as being sings of a forgery. I'd rather be safe then sorry as the old saying goes. Though I do have my apprehensions of posting it on here in the thought of locating it, and purchasing it under me. I will include the sellers pictures.
    Thank you for your opinions!

- Mike
    $_57 (1).JPG $_57.JPG $T2eC16ZHJG8FGrw5-szBBScoYmwqFQ~~60_57.JPG

stevex6 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Not my area but from the photos it looks OK.

CoinMike747 likes this.
  4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Do you know/trust the seller? ... does the seller have a decent return policy and/or an unlimited time period where they'd return your cash if the coin is at sometime determined to be a fake? (most/all? of the sellers on vcoins, etc will give you this peace-o-mind)

... having said that, I think it looks okay, but again => I only buy from sellers whom I trust and who have a good rep

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    CoinMike747 likes this.
  5. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

hmmmmmmm......
    apprehensions?

6. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

A nice, authentic coin. Do note that it is NOT an issue of Corinth, but rather of Argos Amphilochikon in Akarnania. Many colonies of Corinth copied the types of the mother city, especially on the staters.

Compare to: http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=116617

TIF and CoinMike747 like this.
  7. CoinMike747

Hello Steve, I have never dealt with this ebay seller, but he has 99.6% positive feedback with 3800 transactions. He also has a 14 day return policy.
    Sorry about the several grammatical errors, probably should have checked it over.:oops:

8. CoinMike747

Also wanted to thank everyone for their helpful replies.

stevex6 likes this.
  9. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Lets all have a guess at the final value?? I reckon $240

10. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

well thats what my maximum is.....I wont go a penny higher.

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Yes, I have this in my watch list as well, but I think I've made up my mind to pass on it. There is just something about it that makes me leery, but I can't put my finger on it. Good luck if you choose to bid.

12. CoinMike747

13. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

I didnt bid, but ......did Mike win it?? come on mike, let us know??
    I think the price was very good btw.

14. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

oh:( never mind, it wasnt meant to be.........
    think of all the fun you can have again trying for one......if you had won it, itd all be over, bar the splashing the cash.

15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

If there is no problem with the coin, it's well worth the hammer price.

YOC likes this.
  16. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

definitely. i expected it to go for $100 more, but i guess its the worse time to sell as noone has any money after Christmas

17. CoinMike747

That is for sure.I bid 19 dollars below the selling price. But as YOC said, I still have my money for the next coin I find.;)

18. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

and there are plenty more out there.........

CoinMike747 likes this.
  19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

For what it is worth, I had already posted my unsuccessful snipe on the coin before you posted but you outbid me. It can get awkward when someone asks about a coin not yet closed since it is quite possible that three or four of us have seen it. For the record, several colonies issued coins of the type besides the mother city Corinth. If you want a 'real' Corinth, look for a Q under the Pegasus.
    g01380b00857lg.jpg

Another colony, Leukas, has a Lambda.
    g01130b00008lg.JPG
    One I would like is Syracuse completely spelled out.
    http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=383448

CoinMike747, vlaha and stevex6 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted