Corcyra on the island of Corfu

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancientone, Jul 5, 2020.

1. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

24799605_1538531162849772_4373585330805089783_o.jpg Paleokastritsa Beach

Korkyra
    (also Corcyra; Greek: Κόρκυρα, Kórkyra) was an ancient Greek city on the island of Corfu in the Ionian sea, adjacent to Epirus. It was a colony of Corinth, founded in the archaic period. According to Thucydides, the earliest recorded naval battle took place between Korkyra and Corinth, roughly 260 years before he was writing — and thus in the middle of the seventh century BC. He also writes that Korkyra was one of the three great naval powers in fifth century BC Greece, along with Athens and Corinth.

A rare Epirian provincial with some unusual color.

cor.jpg Epirus, Corcyra. Commodus AE20
    Obv: ΑΥΤ Κ Μ ΑΥΡ ΑΝΤ ΚοΜ; bare-headed bust of Commodus wearing cuirass and paludamentum, r.
    Rev: ΚΟΡΚΥΡΑΙΩΝ; statue of female figure standing on base, facing, head, l., raising both hands.
    RPC 8368. Specimens:1

DonnaML, TheRed, Pavlos and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

A nice little coin! The ancient coinage of western Greece is somewhat understudied – that might be the reason why no one else has yet replied. I recall that our esteemed forum member @Pavlos is collecting in this area and might have some coins to show.

My coin from Korkyra is a lot older but not as rare:
    Magna Graecia – Korkyra, Korkyra, Hemidrachme, Amphore und Stern.png
    Korkyra, Korkyra, AR hemidrachm, ca. 450–400 BC. Obv: amphora; above, crescent. Rev: eight-rayed star; crescent in field. 14mm, 2.46g. Ref: BMC 76; SNG Evelpidis 1876. Ex Leu, web auction 8, lot 203.

DonnaML, ancientone, TheRed and 3 others like this.
  4. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Very nice coin! I did not know that type and seems rare as well, but I do not really focus in the Roman provincial coinage.
    The island is great as well, totally different than the Aegean islands.

And thank you for the tag @Orielensis I was not really active yesterday so I missed the thread, you have a great coin as well. Korkyra is indeed part of my Greek islands collection focus. But I just realized I am rather picky since I skipped quite some coins from Korkyra since the condition was just not enough for me or the price too high. I think I need to lower my standards a bit, since now when I look back I do regret not buying some.

I got one meager bronze coin from Korkyra, which I bought when I started collecting:

[​IMG]
    Islands off Epeiros, Korkyra. Æ Bronze, ca. 400 - 338 B.C.
    Obverse:
    K - O. Amphora.
    Reverse: Σ – Ω. Grape bunch on vine.
    Reference: HGC 6, 89.
    4.49g; 17mm.

DonnaML, ancientone, TheRed and 3 others like this.
  5. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Thank you @Orielensis and @Pavlos! Very nice coins also! My only coin from Corcyra and it just happens to be a provincial.

Orielensis likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted