COPPER SHOWING ON NICKEL 1976

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by SmokinJoe, Jun 27, 2022.

1. SmokinJoe

SmokinJoe Well-Known Member

Just found this yesterday in a paper roll.....I can't use my microscope because it's
    been put in a moving box cause our house is up for sale... had 3 offers...That
    fell apart at the last minute....Got a POD box sitting in the front yard...Half of it is
    full...Just to let you know why I haven't been around lately...
    So couldn't use my microscope so I used my cell phone...I see someone else found a
    copper exposed nickel too!! Cool !!
    What do you guys think? I'm guessing there's a few of them out there like this
    1976 NICKEL COPPER COLOR1.jpg 1976 NICKEL COLORED COPPOR2.jpg 1976 NICKEL COLORED COPPOR2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Just environmental damage

spirityoda and Kentucky like this.
  4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Post mint damage.

SmokinJoe likes this.
  5. SmokinJoe

SmokinJoe Well-Known Member

I was guessing that was the cause Treashunt...Still....They will get your attention!:)

6. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Got ruined in acidic soil

SmokinJoe likes this.
  7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yup, there isn't any copper "inside" to get "exposed" in a nickel, it's 75% copper/25% nickel all the way through when it's struck.

Nickel is a more reactive metal than copper (sort of, it's complicated), so corrosion tends to leach away the nickel, leaving the copper behind. Those corroded spots look like copper, because they are, mostly. But it's not any sort of mint error -- just damage.

SmokinJoe and JPD3 like this.
  8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yup, ya gotta look

SmokinJoe likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted