Copper showing in gold coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by pghpanthers2, Apr 5, 2010.

1. pghpanthers2

pghpanthers2 Resurgent Collector

Hi folks,

I have a 1914 indian head quarter eagle which I purchased raw from a reputable dealer. I always assumed it was authentic and really have no reason to think otherwise. Lately, however, I have seen many people worrying about counterfeit indian head gold coins. The last time I looked at the coin, it had a small spot of copper showing toward the bottom of the eagles tail on the reverse. I know pictures would help, however I cannot access my collection at this time. Generally speaking, is a tiny spot of copper showing on a 90% gold coin a positive or negative trait? I have heard conflicting opinions.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

That would be a little concerning !!

4. krispy

krispy krispy

5. krispy

krispy krispy

Not really, it's quite common.

C-B-D likes this.
  6. se-collectibles

se-collectibles Collector Extraordinaire

Copper spots aren't supposed to lower a coin's grade, but I wouldn't buy one with detracting spots.

7. coppermania

coppermania Numistatist

I'm not a scientific expert on the subject but I do know that some gold has copper naturaly laced within it. I live and prospect gold in the Black Hills of SD and our local gold is abot 80% pure from the ground. When I melt my fines, sometimes the glob has a coating of copper and silver on the outside. I presume the lighter metals rise to the surface and I use a touch of nitric acid to disolve the non gold metals. Now consider that Homestake goldmine pulled 40 million OZ out over 135 years and shipped it all to Denver in the early days in 100 lb. blocks (to keep thieves from going far with their loot). Our local mining history is really cool. So imagine that in 1914 what the standards were in the refining process, not quite what I would expect out of a modern gold buffalo or double eagle. I also see many gold coins offered in the Bowers and HA catalogs that have copper spotting. I would rely on die characteristics to determine authenticity and worry if your coin is missing the ones that the many books outline. Be glad the spot is on the tail and not on the portraits nose!

BadThad likes this.
  8. coppermania

coppermania Numistatist

OK, I just read the earlier post KRISPY provided and realize modern bullion tones as well. I still think it lies in the the many mining (a search on cyanide leaching for instance) and refining steps that take place to bring such a product to market. That much meddling with anything will leave a labyrinth of conditions mostly impossible to explain or reproduce. Just an average guy explanation though

9. sinin1

sinin1 Junior Member

I would suspect that a copper spot on a ?100? year old coin is a good thing for authenticity - this is supposed to be 90% gold + 10% copper - this alloy can be thought of as 2 separate solids in a mixture that is slowly moving together - showing small spots of 100% gold and 100% copper. In another 100 years, there will be bigger/more copper spots

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Copper spots are a sign that the coin is both real and (to a lesser extent) hasn't been dipped recently.

As long as they are not overly distracting, most collectors of gold don't consider them a problem.

Hope this helps...Mike

352sdeer likes this.
  11. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

True.

Don't forget your Indian $2.5 is 10% copper. Nations generally don't make 100% gold coins for circulation, as gold is too soft.

It certainly is not an indicator the coin is fake. Quite the opposite; as Mike pointed out, it suggests authenticity.

352sdeer likes this.
  12. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

In a strange way, this gives me comfort since there are minute "copper" spots in the devices of my Charlotte Quarter Eagles I just sent to NGC for authentication.

13. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Many folks view copper spots on classic US gold coinage as a sign of likely authenticity. Also, if one dips gold then more of the copper will be leached out of the surfaces and the coin will appear brighter with less spots on it. Given the information in the thread, I would not be concerned about this coin.

352sdeer likes this.
  14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There is one thing that has not been brought up in this thread. And for those that don't know what copper spots look like, it could be confusing.

What I mean is this. There are also fake gold coins that are made out of copper, or base metal, and then they are plated in gold or given what is called a gold wash. And with minor wear that plating or wash can come off the coin or become so thin that it reveals the copper underneath.

Based soley on descriptions it would be quite easy for those who are unfamiliar with gold to think of that as being a copper spot - it isn't. And that is why it is so important to look at pictures. So you can see the difference.

That said, it also happens sometimes that these plated or washed coins can develop copper spots that look exactly like the real thing. Luckily though, the weight of these plated or washed coins gives them away every time, they will be considerably underweight thus proving they are fake.

It is also important to realize that many fakes are made of the correct finenss of gold, and they will be the correct weight. And, they can also develop copper spots just like the genuine coins do.

So it is always important to remember that copper spots are not a definitive method for authenticating a gold coin any more than the weight or size is. It is merely and indicator that the coin might be genuine.

In the end there is only 1 way to have a gold coin authenticated and that is to have it examined in hand by an expert. Everything else is just a maybe.

15. Marauderrt10

Marauderrt10 Toners rule******

I love toned gold :D let's you know it's original ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

C-B-D likes this.
  16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

By way of example, here is a coin with a few copper spots (the most prominent between N and I in UNITED):

[​IMG]

Insider likes this.
  17. pghpanthers2

pghpanthers2 Resurgent Collector

So it only took me almost 8 years, but I finally got my hands back on my collection (safe keeping, right?) and got some (not very good) images of the coin. The majority of the "copper" is at the bottom of the eagles tail on the reverse. The two posts before this have exponentially better pictures. These pictures do not do the coin justice, it is a bit scratched up but I believe genuine. The white marks on the picture are glare from the 2"x2"

imageedit_2_6146827150.gif
    imageedit_7_3000361040.gif

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    C-B-D likes this.
  18. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

I have a 2007 $ 50 Gold Buffalo PF-69 with a Blood orange Bullet Hole in the side of the Buffalo. (Copper composition bleed through).
    Maybe Gen. George Armstrong Custer shot him. :eek:

Gold Buffalo with Blood orange Bullet Hole.JPG

19. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

A 1912 2 1/2 is a top 10 most counterfeited coin according to ngc.

20. usc96

usc96 Junior Member

Um, this is .9999 pure gold. What copper composition?

21. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

The million dollar question...LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted