Copper Quarter?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by bamibam, Oct 16, 2012.

1. bamibam

bamibam New Member

I came across this quarter while going through my coin collection. Can anyone tell me what I have here? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Looks like someone removed the outer layer.

PMD.

4. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

:rolleyes: I guess E had some fun and removed the cladding.

5. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

Interesting. I wonder if it would be worth it in a financial sense to leach the silver cladding off coins?

6. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

hmmmm.........
    i'de keep it, that is if my name started with an E

7. bamibam

bamibam New Member

So this is what happens when someone (E) removes the coating from a quarter. My thoughts were that is was a copper or bronze quarter (don't really know if they exist though). Unfortunately I'm an "I" not an "E".

Thanks for the input.

8. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Weight and thickness?

9. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Could you guys explain to me how one would remove the cupro-nickel (not silver) clad layers from a quarter? And, supposing you could remove both clad layers, how do you explain no loss of detail?

Looks like another tarnished clad quarter to me.

10. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

i have a dime that is like your quarter, no E or initial though.
    could it be a int error? i've heard they are mint errors.

11. bamibam

bamibam New Member

I have no way of weighting it but I can give you a idea of it's thickness by comparing it with another quarter.

quartersside.jpg

Attached Files:

12. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Usually, these "copper quarters" are the result of environmental damage (like being buried for a while) or plated. The weight of the coin would be the key to actually knowing what you have.

13. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Use a popsicle stick scale to compare the weight to a normal quarter.

Instructions for making one are at http://www.cointalk.com/t37184/#post373124. Just use your quarter and a regular one instead of 1982 cents as described there.

I had a bicentennial quarter with a missing copper-nickel layer on the reverse. It was noticeably thinner than a standard quarter, and a clear strike. If somehow or other a coin were to be stamped on the center layer of pure copper with neither cu-ni layer it would be much, much thinner than yours. My guess is that the weight will turn out to be the same as other quarters and it is just badly tarnished.

14. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Looks like someone had fun copper plating a quarter in high school chemistry class.

15. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

if you like it send it in for grading.. . point blank if its fake theyll tell you, or take it to the local coin shop...

16. bamibam

bamibam New Member

Finally got a small gram scale and it seems the coin is the same weight as other quarters.

Ordinary Fool likes this.
  17. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

Weird but pretty cool coin.

Ordinary Fool likes this.
  18. Ordinary Fool

Ordinary Fool Active Member

That would be some interesting and peculiar soil. The soil here generally does lots more in a short period of time than discolor. It will eat coins alive under the heavy mineral deposits!

My guess would be if it got that way from being buried, some metal detector folk would likely be able to pinpoint the area of the nation it's burial took place.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking some fallow red clay or sandy peat somewhere might color a nickel coin that way, but, I have no idea.

That is a lot of detail for any 1969 clad quarter that isn't a proof or nicely struck BU.

It is a neat quarter just the same and it almost looks like it should be in a candy wrapper.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  19. Ordinary Fool

I'm far removed from an expert although I have looked at many and put back few quarters.

Yours look dirty, stained and damaged to me. Others may have different opinions based on the limited visual information you have posted here.

They may actually be special. I don't know and don't have them in my hand.

Maybe take more pix of them from various angles and lighting, crop out all the background, and consider posting them in a separate thread? Good luck!

I believe the suggestions to weigh were to the original poster in this thread. A jewelry store, pawn shop, coin shop or any number of places will have a scale capable of measuring grams to 2 or more decimal places to the right.

You can buy a tiny digital scale, shipped to your door for less than $15. Mine was 10.57 off eBay and one that goes up to 30 pounds was $25.

The United States Mint's website tells you how much any coin they've made should weigh as do most all the coin books and several websites focused on the specific interest.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  20. Ordinary Fool

That may be a possible explanation for the "E" and weirdness on the reverse just behind the obverse's "E".

Seems to me that otherwise, the guys at the mint had to have some unusual copper planchet and carved that "E" in a way that it would remain after being struck. That seems unlikely to me but, it would be interesting to see the coin or several more better pix of it.

21. Ordinary Fool

You missed the reccomendation of starting your own thread as a courtesy to the gentleman who started this one about his quarter. :)

Me? I'd likely delete such posts in this thread and start another thread specifically related to my questions.

Maybe your coins are related to the one subject of this thread, but, I don't see it.

My opinions and a few bucks might get you a small bag of coffee beans!

Draft saved Draft deleted