Copper Quarter on Both Sides missing Clads???

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jimmychair, Dec 27, 2009.

1. jimmychair

jimmychair Junior Member

I got a quarter today that i thought was big penny. I did not weigh it yet but will post it tommorrow after the weigh in...Its a 1999 p New Jersey State quarter. I have been unable to find anything about quarters missing both sides. Please Help Any ideas about what its all about???

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jimmychair

jimmychair Junior Member

4. jimmychair

jimmychair Junior Member

5. ERROR HUNTER

ERROR HUNTER Coins,Stamps

send it to get graded

6. Penny Fanatic

Penny Fanatic Seated Half Collector

o agree get it graded it could be missing the plating, in that case it would be an error.

7. jimmychair

jimmychair Junior Member

please forgive me but how would i go about that... there are 2 coin shops around me. i wanna say i saw their names on PSGS.com.. would that suffice? Could there be value to this. Enough to keep in the family for my kids to fight over when im gone.....

8. Penny Fanatic

Penny Fanatic Seated Half Collector

if it is genuine yes it is valuable, how much? im not sure. your best bet would probably be to take it to your local coin store and ask them if this is worth getting slabbed. (graded by a professional coin grading service). PCGS is one of the most widely used and trusted TPG's along with NGC and some others.

hope this helps

9. krispy

krispy krispy

And if the first dealer you visit offers to buy it from you don't just sell it to them, get a second opinion and if that dealer also wants to buy it, tell them that you want to send it in to be graded. Don't part with it too easily whether they feign interest or disinterest. just something to consider.

10. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

clad values

At the 2009 ANA show in Los Angeles, Fred Weinberg http://www.fredweinberg.com/ had three or four coins like yours. As I remember, the price varied depending on the color and luster of the copper, but the ones with just one side where the clad layer was missing were many hundreds of dollars.
    Best of luck and let us know how things turn out.

11. jimmychair

jimmychair Junior Member

thanks for the fast responses... only thing that sucks is they are all closed tommorrow:headbang:.... ill post my findings asap... i actually think its pretty cool the way it looks.. my wife thinks im messing with her... oh well we shall see

12. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Last week an Ellington/ District of Columbia quarter sold on ebay for $51 dollars. It was totally missing clads on both sides too. Whether your kids will fight over the value of it?

Here's the number of the one that just sold. 380189910659

That would be sad, but may be true in a family of homeless. :D

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Without knowing the weight it is NOT possible to say anything meaningful about this coin. At this point it is all just speculation as to what it is.

14. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

NJ State Quarter- Missing Clad Layer- Trends $100+

15. Pyrbob

Pyrbob Member

The $100 sounds low and is probably for a coin missing the clad layer on one side. But I have my doubts about this coin. Missing both clad layers would make the coin underweight and thin. The dies are set to strike a coin leaving a certain gap between them so a normal planchet will receive an acceptable strike without being overstruck which will wear out the dies faster among other problems. I would expect a thinner coin to have a weak strike to it because of this. I don't see a weak strike on this coin. For that reason I suspect this coin is just plated or toned. As conder said, the weight is the important factor but so far I have my doubts.

Also be careful looking at prices on ebay. The above mentioned coin also looks very suspect. In the questions to the buyer someone even asked him about the weight of the coin and he said it weighes the same as a regular quarter. I think another person on ebay just wasted their money.

16. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

17. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

There are only two quarters known that are missing the clad layer on both faces. One is broadstruck and uniface, the other weakly struck as the result of being much thinner than a normal quarter. At best, your quarter was struck on an improperly annealed planchet. When exposed to prolonged heat or excessive heat (it's not clear which), a layer of copper forms on the surface. The exact physical and chemical mechanism is elusive. If that's what you've got, it may be worth $50. No point in sending it in to be slabbed. Less desirable possibilities are that it was plated or discolored outside the Mint.

18. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I'm guessing you dont have a scale to weigh it

19. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Very Nice find!!!:thumb:

20. jimmychair

jimmychair Junior Member

im heading out to weigh it now.. gonna try a hobby shop where ive seen coins before to see if he's got a gram scale... if not im heading to bed bath and beyond where they carry food scales that measure in grams, will post in about 3-4 hrs

21. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I posted one a few days ago. The newer quarters aren't worth that much, certainly not worth get graded, good find just the same. look at http://www.cointalk.com/t84680/

Draft saved Draft deleted