Copper Nickel?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by carnaaron, May 18, 2011.

1. carnaaron

carnaaron New Member

Ok so I got this strange looking copper nickel in some change today, photos are below. I looked around for an hour on the internet and couldn't find any info on a proof set or anything that this might have come in. I don't think it was chemically affected in any way, there are dings like on any other nickel and the copper goes right through them not like it's plated or just a thin layer.If anyone could tell me anything about this thing I would greatly appreciate it!

PICS:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/806/frontdvw.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/690/backzl.jpg/

Thanks!:smile

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

4. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

The surface has been affected by chemicals or some other sort of environmental substance.

5. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

I agree.
    Lance.

6. Pennyloo

Pennyloo New Member

I have one too! Exactly like this and same year! Have you found out any more info on it?

7. Pennyloo

Pennyloo New Member

Seriously I have exact coin

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Discolored coin, not an error.

9. Pennyloo

Pennyloo New Member

Ok how can two different people have the same coin issue? If they are chemically altered why aren't more around? Too big of a coincidence don't you think?

10. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

No, considering 693,120,000 were made....

Stevearino likes this.
  11. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Yeah there's a ton of nickels that are discolored. Get a box of nickels and take a look, you'll see some that are similar.

Stevearino likes this.
  12. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

Seems this is going to be the consensus...I agree.

13. Jim Bonner

Jim Bonner New Member

I use them to demonstrate copper plating.. I suspect I am not the only one.

14. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

I have 6 same year, same discoloration. They were in my cupholder in the car, and got wet from coffee and soda pop.

No error, PMD.

Stevearino likes this.
  15. thatcher164

thatcher164 New Member

Modern US coinage metal ain't what it used to be, take a look at a handfull
    of post 1982 cents compared to pre 82's to really see the point

16. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Enviromental damage. I metal detect and come across a variety of "finishes" on coins. Surprisingly, (or maybe not) I see them listed on ebay as being rare errors.

This is one example of a nickel that I dug up (ignore that fact that it's Canadian) and you can see it looks to be copper which it isn't :

[​IMG]

Stevearino likes this.
  17. cece

cece New Member

My father also has a copper colored nickle from 1973. Has any one found any more information about this nickle? And what year where the nickles you found?

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If the coin acquires the dings before the environmental discoloration, the dings will show the same color.

19. jenny_lynn

jenny_lynn New Member

I found a year 2000 nickel with my change and it looks exactly like a penny, I've seen discolored coins but this really looks like a circulated penny. I got excited at first because I collect any odd coins I find but I don't know about value or anything of them, I just keep them to have. Looks like this isn't anything special but I'll probably keep it anyway, just because it looks cool.

20. jenny_lynn

jenny_lynn New Member

I found a year 2000 nickel with my change and it looks exactly like a penny, I've seen discolored coins but this really looks like a circulated penny. I got excited at first because I collect any odd coins I find but I don't know about value or anything of them, I just keep them to have. Looks like this isn't anything special but I'll probably keep it anyway, just because it looks cool.

21. jonathan dimmick

jonathan dimmick New Member

I have one as well so so far 3 posted on here cant be an anomaly 1964 nickel and is made of copper

kenneth winters likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted