Copper - grade versus color designation

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jaelus, Apr 11, 2017.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Hahahaha!!!! You don't think that was apples to apples? :rolleyes::p

RonSanderson and Stevearino like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

Yes, I front loaded it a bit. And yes the "Red" cent is turning. It was the only 66 red I could find on PCGS CoinFacts.

Paul M. likes this.
  4. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Exactly, for more valuable copper coins, such as the IHC or 2ct piece, a nice RB is usually the best option...

IMG_2461.JPG

IMG_2462.JPG

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Paul M. and Jaelus like this.
  5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Makes me want to buy it, crack it and slip it into an envelope for a while....

Paul M. and jtlee321 like this.
  6. jtlee321

Ok, here is a fairer comparison. This is a 1909 Lincoln Cent that I own, it's raw and is as close to red as I have. You will notice how the orange areas show how it is slowly turning to red brown though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul M. and RonSanderson like this.
  7. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

One of the reasons I prefer toned bn or rb coins, toning offers a layer of protection. Dehydrated and stored properly, they won't change during your lifetime.

Kentucky and Stevearino like this.
  8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I would consider it an upgrade, if the 63RD was top pop my answer might change but in general I would consider that to be an upgrade. RB is kind of the sweet spot for the best of both worlds, but BN can be very beautiful in it's own right. I do find RD to be beautiful, but the climate I live in would make me nervous about paying big bucks or a large premium simply for the RD designation so other than moderns I generally stay away from RD

9. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I like Bn and it doesnt even hafta be super high grade. Ms62> 20170210_213654.jpg

Paul M., BadThad and Jaelus like this.
  10. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

What if there was no significant premium for a red example?

11. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Here are some examples where I've upgraded from RB to BN for eye appeal/grade.

63RB to 65BN
    kraj.jpg HUN430_1Kr_1848_2.jpg

65RB (top pop) to 65BN
    HUN442_4KR_1868KB_sm.png
    HUN442_4KR_1868KB_2_sm.png

Can't find the photo of the one I upgraded from but I went from a 64RD to this 66BN. Typically for smaller coins I prefer red, but the eye appeal on this one was amazing.
    HUN481_2FIL_1910KB_sm.png

12. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Let me take another stab at this coin:cool:
    Im not a copperhead, but ill take a brown IHC such as this one everyday of the week:cigar: 20170412_140801.jpg 20170412_140352.jpg

jtlee321, Jaelus and Paul M. like this.
  13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

For 1933 and earlier, I vastly prefer a RB or BN coin. After that, RD is okay, but I'd still go for a colorful RB instead. :)

RonSanderson likes this.
  14. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

My sentiments exactly. The subtle beauty of this 1934 is hard to match with a coin that is merely all red.

It does get harder to find anyone selling the BR or RB coins after 1934, though. So after 1934 I try to appreciate the color variations within Red as best I can.

01c 1934 #01 full 01.gif
    01c 1935 #01 full 01.jpg

Attached Files:

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted