Copper - grade versus color designation

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jaelus, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

For those that collect copper, do you prefer a higher grade example or one with more red? What kind of a tradeoff would you need to have in order to upgrade? In other words, would you consider going from a 63RD to a 66BN an upgrade or a downgrade? What about BN coins with colorful toning?

Seattlite86 and Stevearino like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I'll be interested to hear what people have to say. Aren't ALL RD's going to end up as BN's?

Stevearino, Paul M. and Jaelus like this.
  4. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I prefer Unc. brown examples over red. To me It's harder to see all the details on a red cent. Whereas, a brown cent seems to have more contrast and show more details IMO. And Im also paranoid that im gonna pay for a RD and in 10 years, have a RB. Also high grade BN lincolns can have gorgeous toning which to me is much more attractive than RD.

Im talking about Lincoln wheats as those are mostly the only coppers I collect anymore.

5. Jaelus

That's a good point as well. I have some fully red gems from the late 1800s that I keep in a low moisture environment and slabbed, so hopefully they will stay like that for a long time. There's something comforting about a stable fully chocolate brown coin though.

Stevearino, Paul M. and Kentucky like this.
  6. Jaelus

It depends on the size for me. For larger copper coins my favorite looks are fully brown with colorful toning or fully brown with a glossy blue appearance. I've "upgraded" to lower grade or designation examples to get that eye appeal on larger coins.

I've found that for smaller coppers if I'm going to buy one in a gem grade, I'd prefer it to be fully red, however, it depends. For a smaller coin I'd take a 66/67BN with the colorful or blue glossy look over a 65RD any day, but it's got to have the higher grade.

Evan8 and Paul M. like this.
  7. Kentucky

Agreed that RD's can stay RD for a long time with proper care, but if something unfortunate happens, I can picture one of those screams that reverbrates around the world.

Paul M. and Jaelus like this.
  8. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I prefer RB's.
    Even under the best of care a Red is going to tone and become an RB.
    At least going from RB to BN takes a LOT longer when cared for.

wxcoin, Paul M. and Jaelus like this.
  9. robec

robec Junior Member

I would prefer an eye appealing 66BN over 66RD any day.

Paul M., Evan8 and Jaelus like this.
  10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I don't even look at Red.

Paul M., RonSanderson and Evan8 like this.
  11. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I've always assumed that all copper will windup brown eventually unless it's coated to prevent reaction with gases. Apparently, it can take many decades in some cases as there are red coins from the 19th century. I don't know of a way to convert brown back to red in a undetectable manner, but maybe it's possible. I generally go for RB, but have a few BN's and one RD.

Cal

Paul M. likes this.
  12. Kentucky

One of our members @BadThad has a product that might be of some use. He might be interested in this thread

13. Dough

Dough My brain is open

NGC Guarantee: "Coins made of copper, bronze and copper-nickel can change over time. Accordingly, with regard to copper, bronze or copper-nickel Coins graded by NGC, the grade portion of the NGC Guarantee will no longer apply after the 10-year anniversary of their date of encapsulation by NGC."

PCGS Guarantee: "IMPORTANT: Because the color and surfaces of copper coins can change due to environmental factors, including weather and improper storage, PCGS does not guarantee against changes in the color of copper coins, or against copper spotting subsequent to grading and encapsulation by PCGS."

micbraun likes this.
  14. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Awesome question.

15. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I lean towards red but only if it is a well struck example. I'll take a brown 64 over a brown 66 if the eye appeal is similar or better. It will definitely cost much less and I'll have money to buy other coins I need.

Jaelus likes this.
  16. Maintain

Maintain Active Member

I like Bread.

Jaelus likes this.
  17. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I would rather have a RB or B with great eye appeal than have a Red Lincoln Cent. If I want a red Lincoln Cent, I can go to the bank and get about 20-30 out of a roll for face value. A red Lincoln Cent from the teens just had no appeal, they look like new coins found in circulation today. Now a red brown with a gorgeous transition in tones from red and brown is just stunning. A brown cent with color popping from it is also stunning.

What do you think of something like this? PCGS MS-66RB
    [​IMG]

Compared to something like this? PCGS MS-66RD
    1909-Lincoln-Cent-PCGS-66RD.jpg

18. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

@jtlee321, I wouldn't kick either one of those out of my keepsake drawer.
    Steve

19. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

The twirling lights on the one but not the other make it hard to compare.
    Cal

Paul M., jtlee321 and wxcoin like this.
  20. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I
    I'm sure that if you applied the same special lighting effects on the red one it would show some nice hues as well. Both coins are nice and I'd be happy with either or both.

jtlee321 likes this.
  21. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Yeah, he kinda front-loaded that one, didn't he? :D

All the same, I'm in complete agreement, and obviously he didn't have the Red coin in-hand or he'd have done a .gif for it as well. Have no fear, I can already see the Red showing signs of turning into a "real" vintage Lincoln. :)

Paul M., calcol, jtlee321 and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted