Copper dime?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Clueless in Kentucky, Nov 7, 2017.

1. I dumped a bunch of coins into my credit union's coin counter and sifting through the rejected coins, among the foreign and damaged coins I found a 2017 P 20171107_124357.jpg 20171107_124502.jpg dime that appeared copper in color--though not quite as richly copper as a penny--and was noticeably lighter, presumably the basis on which it was rejected. The tails side appears normal.

I know nothing about coins so forgive me if this is a dumb question. And I do have a coin store(?) nearby but I wanted to go there armed with at least a little bit of knowledge.

How does this happen? It seems especially surprising given that it is a new coin...in terms of the likelihood of damage from a chemical solvent or whatnot...but what do I know? Is it worth anything or just the result of something random post-mint?

Thank you for your help.

Mikenwuf and john65999 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

What is the weight, although it is thoroughly clear that it will weigh less than it is supposed to.
    It looks like your coin is missing its clad layer one side.
    These have a premium attached to there value.
    Cool find!

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

My gut feeling is that this dime was subjected to some sort of chemical that turned it this color. I don't think it is missing the clad layer. The color is just not right.

Chris

Clueless in Kentucky likes this.
  5. I'm sorry I don't have the means to weigh it right now.

For what it's worth, to my eyes the difference in shade, though apparent, is not as marked as it is in the photo. I don't know how or why that could be but that is my honest observation.

Also I didn't really pick up on this until zooming in on the pic but it almost does appear worn or at least not as raised as in the normal penny. You can see that mostly with the year, the letter P and In God We Trust. Actually the entire surface is a little less smooth than I had realized upon closer examination.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Okay, here is a half dollar that is missing the clad layer that I got from the Mint in 2004. It was in a $100 Mixed P&D bag. This coin remained in a Mint vault for 3 years before it was released to the public. Notice how brilliant the copper color is compared to your dime. I still think your dime was subjected to some sort of chemical while in circulation.

2001-D 50c REV Slab.jpg

Chris

7. Makes sense to me. Very cool piece there!

I'll

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Have to weigh it. It's prob light, if the coin machine rejected it.
    It should be silver colored on the other side, if the tails side appears normal this could be very good. Dime missing clad layer.
    This site says it is very valuable:
    http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=4879

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  9. Thank you. Tails side is normal...to my eyes anyway.

10. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Here's mine that looks similar I was told it was heat induced toning, a bit different with some green in there probably from being back out in the wild but yours does look considerably thin or the other is just very thick.

20171026_222559.jpg 20171026_222544.jpg

Thanks,
    Jacob

11. Interesting, thanks!

Youngcoin likes this.
  12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

We really need the weight. Color from computer images isn't a good way to judge, frankly the dime looks better than cpm9ball's half and I know the half is good.

To me the color is believable and I see the expected weakness of strike at the date and the incomplete forming of the rim at 9:00. I think it has a fair chance of being a missing clad layer coin.

13. Thank you for that. I'll see what I can do.

14. FBLfinder

FBLfinder Active Member

I sent a dime that appeared to be copper, check my avatar, and it graded as a sintered planchett dime that picked up copper from improper annealing. Check That weight. If it's the same it's improper annealing. If it's less it would be missing its clad layer, my guess would be post mint damage because the details are weak.

15. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

If the clad layer came off after the strike, then the details on your coin make sense.

16. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

Its possible that this could be missing clad layer but like others said no way to know without knowing the weight. If you don't have a scale you can take it to a pawn shop, jewerly store ,coin shop or one of those we buy gold places. Can you post the reverse? And welcome from a fellow Kentuckian.

17. I will get it weighed soon and share it here. Thanks Eric. I'm in Louisville btw.

Bob

Attached Files:

eric6794 likes this.
  18. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

Im over here in Ashland. I'll say that this coin stands a good chance a being the real deal.

19. Hommer

The reverse shows that it's definitely a Philly, lol.

20. Hommer

I've been in Louisville since May, on asignment as one might say. Haven't made all the coin places yet, but have a few. Bought one local coin while here, but sold about 40.

21. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I'm with @Conder101 - the strike on both sides is weak enough to say there wasn't enough metal when the dies struck, so a missing layer of clad, pre-strike.

Draft saved Draft deleted