Copper colored quarter????

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by soledad0924, Oct 26, 2014.

1. soledad0924

soledad0924 New Member

Hello. I'm new to this forum and finding a copper colored quarter has led me here with questions. I hope I can find some answers here, because scouring the internet is leading me in a million directions. Honestly, I have no real knowledge when it comes to coins, but I do collect interesting looking ones. Any help would be really appreciated. I made sure NOT to use a flash for the photos to give a better image here on the forum.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I noticed right away that the copper colored quarter is slightly thinner than the regular quarter (see last picture). The copper is on the right. On the regular quarter's side ... you see silver, copper, silver. However on the copper quarter, you see a complete copper side.

I found this in a pile of change and it really had me wondering what this was? Does anybody have any information about this copper coin. Honestly, colorwise, it's very similar in color to a penny.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

Have you weighed it? A normal SQ should weigh 5.67 gms.

Chris

4. soledad0924

soledad0924 New Member

No I haven't had it weighed yet. How would I go about doing that? I'm completely new at the coin language and the special places to go for this type of thing. And thank you for the warm welcome. :)

5. cpm9ball

Any coin, jewelry or pawn shop would have a scale capable of weighing it to the nearest 1/100th gram (.01). If it is missing both clad layers, it is pretty scarce. Most coins are only missing the clad layer on one side, and these can be worth in the hundreds of dollars.

FWIW: You can find a decent digital scale online for about $15, but if you don't think you'd have much need for it, opt for the coin, jewelry or pawn shop.

Chris

soledad0924 likes this.
  6. soledad0924

soledad0924 New Member

Thank you Chris! I will definitely hit up the local jeweler or pawn shop. Thank you for the helpful information.

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

If it's missing both clad layers, it's a big deal; seeing that it's thin helps to suggest that, and getting an accurate weight will help as well.

But from these photos, it looks like it might be corroded, which can both reduce the weight and thin the coin. Larger and sharper images might give us a better idea whether that's what happened.

GH#75 and soledad0924 like this.
  8. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Heres a clue, and it doesn't look like its missing a clad layer, both rims are to toned, like they should be p.jpg

9. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Could have been dipped in acid maybe?

10. cpm9ball

I think I'll withhold judgment until it has been weighed.

Chris

11. soledad0924

soledad0924 New Member

Hello Rick. I'm confused now. LOL The clad layer I thought was the one on the left with the two tones. The quarter on the right is the one in question.

12. soledad0924

soledad0924 New Member

I will be having it weighed tomorrow at the jeweler hopefully after work.

13. soledad0924

soledad0924 New Member

Hi Ethan. It very well could have ... I mean it was in a bunch of change from a recent store trip. I'm just getting opinions at the moment and I'm not holding my breath over the value, because it could be a dud. But I figured I would look into it just because it's just weird. LOL I may have a pleasant surprise or a pleasant dud ... the investigation and information is more interesting than the value at this point for me. :)

14. soledad0924

soledad0924 New Member

Hi Jeff. I used my cell phone camera for the photos. I read some other threads and I saw people recommend to shut the flash off so I did do that. But I am trying to find some reputable coin businesses in my area that could visually inspect it, because it is hard trying to see fine details in the photos. First things first, I will have it weighed at the jeweler and hopefully by then I can find a business that has knowledge in the coin field. I'm completely new at this and would like to find someone who isn't going to try to yank my leg if you know what I mean. ;)

15. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

if the clad layer is missing the rim should be red, something like this A002 - 20130408_063226 (3).jpg

16. vrssr

vrssr New Member

Excuse my ignorance on this, but I have a 2004 D Iowa quarter that looks like your picture, I think. It looks like it is the same width as a regular quarter. Is the weight difference due to the absence of the normal alloy layer?
    Presentation1.png

17. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

What does it weigh?

18. vrssr

vrssr New Member

Sorry, I meant to reply.

19. vrssr

vrssr New Member

Good question. I have not weighed it yet; never thought about it before. Did I read that a jewelry store could weigh it? How much should it weigh compared to a regular quarter?

20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am not sure of the weights because it will vary. Missing both layers will be considerably lighter.

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If it was missed both clad layers it would weigh somewhere around 2.8 grams, or less than a copper cent. And the strike would be very weak.

Draft saved Draft deleted