Copper Coated Nickel.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by tommcorm, May 21, 2017.

1. tommcorm

tommcorm Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommcorm

tommcorm Active Member

I'm only wondering if this is worthy of speculation. I don't have a scope. Thanks, Tom.

Attached Files:

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hi Tom

You title states Copper Coated Nickel. The link you provided is a Nickel struck on a Cent Planchet which is something totally different. I nickel struck on a Cent planchet would be the same size and weight of a Cent.

Sometimes Nickels are affected by the environment. There are what is called Environmental Damaged Clad coins that take the color of Copper when in fact they are not.

Edit* - Looking at your pictures.. you have what is considered Environmental Damage.

tommcorm likes this.
  5. paddyman98

I believe I have shown you this coin before from my collection -
    This is a Nickel struck on Cent Planchet
    5C on 1C.jpg

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

On a very positive note, though; you're clearly looking deeper, willing to search out information, and taking the time to educate yourself, which is something a rather appalling number of people are no longer willing to do. Paddy is, unfortunately, correct in that your coin displays nothing more than damage, but you're on the right track and will do well in this hobby. Kudos, Tom.

tommcorm likes this.
  7. paddyman98

Tom, check out these coins I have dug out of the ground metal detecting... with Environmental Damage! They take a dark color.

20160904_021450.jpg
    20160925_085702.jpg

8. tommcorm

tommcorm Active Member

Thanks for the replies. YouTube makes this sound so easy. But I'm hooked. I have my scale, my metal detector now and a few books.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. tommcorm

tommcorm Active Member

I've gotten a few that looked run-over. :)

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted