Copper cents

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by swick, Nov 2, 2007.

1. swick

swick New Member

I have a dumb question......Are all 1982 and prior pennies/cents copper? I know that it's a stupid question, but I just had to know! LOL Thanks.

swick

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

No. All 1981 and prior are copper. All 1983 and later are zinc with a couple notable exceptions. 1982 are both copper and zinc. You can tell the difference by the weight or ring when dropped if you have a good ear.

4. Eyesee

Eyesee Member

There are 7 variations of the 1982 cent. P & D of course, then copper or zinc, then large and small dates. The coppers weigh 3.1 grams and the zinc 2.5.

5. swick

swick New Member

Thanks RIM!! I don't think that my hearing is that good! LOL Too much loud Rock n' Roll!! Thanks again!

swick

6. Eyesee

Eyesee Member

You can get a gram scale for pretty cheap. About 20 bucks.
    Thats what I use.

Someone told me once tat you can use a popsickle stick someow but I dont remember how that worked.

7. Rhubarb

Rhubarb New Member

3 Copper coins (one '82 P large date, one '82 P small date, one '82 D large date)
    4 Zinc coins (one '82 P large date, one '82 P small date, one '82 D large date, one '82 D small date) In 1982 the US Mint switched from a mainly copper to a mainly zinc alloy for making pennies. I hope this help's.

Rhubarb

8. swick

swick New Member

Thanks to EVERYONE!! I have a "POLAR WATER" jug that is filling up. I've decided to look through the coins in the "jug" to find out what's in there! Kinda like "roll searching", but different. LOL I'll let yinz all know what I find......OK?
    Thanks again!

swick

9. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

I made a popsicle scale just like this:

Picture a see-saw on a play ground. Same thing. Get a wooden dowel or sand a piece of pencil round and use it as a balance point. Mark the popsicle stick at the point where a 1983 or newer penny will " just about" start the tipping process. Glue dowel in place. Any copper penny will tip it easily, others will not.

Penny or Cent, you choose.

Draft saved Draft deleted