Copper barber dime with 180% rotation

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kevin wu, May 31, 2015.

1. Kevin wu

Kevin wu Well-Known Member

I Purchase this barber dime some years ago from eBay, it worn down very bad , someone even scratch surface to see if it was real copper, it also 180% rotation error , it badly shape but still nice one to keep .

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

A US coin with that kind of rotation would be considered and called a Medallic Alignment Rotation. Nice one!

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    swamp yankee likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You maybe know this already just wanted to share -

Definition: Die rotation refers to the location of the "top" of the coin's image when the coin is turned over. For example, if you look at the obverse of a U.S. penny with Lincoln's head right-side up, and then turn the penny over from top to bottom, the building should be right side up on the reverse. This is called "coin alignment."

On some commemoratives and nearly all medals, the alignment is the opposite.
    If you turn a medal over from top to bottom, the reverse will be upside down, because "medal alignment" requires that the coin reverse be right-side up when the coin is turned from side to side (rather than from top to bottom.) The reason for medal alignment being different is that medals are frequently hung on ribbons or chains, and if the medal gets turned over, the wearer wouldn't want his medal to look upside down.

So on a medallic alignment such as your coin both Obverse and Reverse faces right side up.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Cool coin, except that Barber dimes weren't made out of copper. I'm guessing it's toning?

6. Kevin wu

I believe it struck on cent planchet And both Obverse and Reverse faces right side up if turn over .

swamp yankee likes this.
  7. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

AMAZING COIN!

swamp yankee likes this.
  8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

How would a cent planchet fit into a dime collar?

Anyone saying 'shoehorn' gets a slap. :D

9. sambyrd44

sambyrd44 Well-Known Member

it may be a contemporary counterfeit that would of been plated.

swamp yankee likes this.
  10. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

If it was struck on a cent planchet, it would be the size of a cent. How does it compare in size?

11. Kevin wu

I don't compare size yet I will try compare tonight

12. rickmp

Which makes me ask, how would dime dies get put on a cent press?

swamp yankee likes this.
  13. Agilmore01

There are plenty of coins minted on wrong planchets. I don't know the process well enough to explain how it happens perfectly, but the dime die is not put on the cent press. A cent planchet gets put in with the dime press with other dime planchets.

14. rickmp

A cent planchet, being larger than a dime planchet, cannot possibly fit into a dime collar, making your theory impossible. That dime is plated, heavily toned or environmentally damaged.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. Agilmore01

I don't think it is a dime on a cent planchet. I am just saying things happen all the time. There are plenty of nickels struck on cent planchets. Half dollars on nickel planchets. All kinds of stuff happen. I don't understand the process, but there is crazy stuff out there.

16. rickmp

Nickel on cent planchet can happen because a cent planchet is smaller than a nickel planchet and will fit in the press, etc.

paddyman98 likes this.
  17. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Couldn't you just take it out of the holder and GENTLY drop it to hear how it sounds. There are distinct differences in sound between silver and copper.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The first thing you do is weigh the coin. I don't think it's possible for a cent to be struck with dime dies.

19. Kevin wu

Yeah I weight it before and I forget what weight on it , I will weight it again and took it out from 2x2 to take better pictures

20. Agilmore01

I follow you now. After some research, I can't find any evidence of a smaller coin on a bigger planchet. It's always the other way around. I had never thought of it in reverse.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  21. rickmp

Very good, grasshopper.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted