Cool Trial Strike

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mlov43, Sep 4, 2015.

1. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I don't know much about die trials, so when I saw this South Korean gold trial of the largest diameter of any South Korean gold coin (60mm, 2.80oz, .900Au) I just had to ask here. I wrote about the commemorative series in which this coin is included: http://www.dokdo-research.com/fivemillenia.html .

I have a few questions for those familiar with die trials:

1) Is it common to strike just one side? Or was this done due to its large diameter (60mm) that they felt the need to test just one trial die?

2) The die used for this trial wasn't actually used to strike subsequent (non-trial) coins, was it? Maybe it's just the lighting, but it looks to have some doubling in the lettering.

They only struck the reverse (yes, the side with the image is the reverse for this coin), and left the obverse blank, except for a little mint mark at 6 o'clock. I can't tell what it is. I'm pretty sure that this coin was struck at the Valcambi Mint in Switzerland. It could also have been done by the Paris Mint, but it doesn't look like it. Those had a mint mark at the 8 o'clock position on the obverses of the coins they released.

Any better insight into what this is all about would be very appreciated.

Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 12.55.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 12.55.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 12.55.39 PM.png

coindudeonebay likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I've seen this practice done with 'coins' from Russia and Australia.

The most plausible answer that I had from a couple of sellers is that these may have been ex bank samples. In particular if you wanted to have the obverse and reverse displayed together, they could be very expensive if they were genuine.

I believe this was somewhat a common practice in the early 1980s till 1990s where gold, platinum and platinum were worth a fair amount (especially if you factor in inflation) and security probably wasn't as great as today.

I presume that these samples were supposed to be returned to the mint but somehow forgotten in the process. In this situation, would it be appropriate to call them trial strikes? Nevertheless, if there is such example for sale and if it is affordable. I will for sure not hesitate to get it.

mlov43 likes this.
  4. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I knew it would only be a matter of time before you chimed in, gx. Thanks for letting me in on what you know.

I've never considered the bank sample/display aspect of it before. Wow. That makes a lot of sense. You know, I've seen these 1970 gold coins being displayed in ads in 1970s-era travel books and magazines published in Korea. Maybe this is what they used? The reverse side (in Korean coinage, that's the side with the main artistic devices) is always shown in these ads. Hmm.

Well, is $5K USD affordable for you?

This, and the Silla Crown gold coin (a similar "test strike"), are for sale here:
    http://www.geochangsa.com/shop/shopdetail.html?branduid=1018181&xcode=002&mcode=&scode=&type=X&sort=price2&cur_code=002&GfDT=bGd3Vw==

Thanks for the response. Cheers.

Edit: Here's the gold crown 20K Won coin:
    http://www.geochangsa.com/shop/shop...type=X&sort=price2&cur_code=002&GfDT=bm57W1U=

gxseries likes this.
  5. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Very nice! If I recall correctly, there was a set of such strike that was offered for auction. I just cannot remember what was the asking price as well as when I saw it but I am certain that it was a set of uniface example as shown.

Still need a proper computer to do all my research...

Draft saved Draft deleted