Cool things you can do with ancients

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by swish513, Dec 15, 2016.

1. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

One of my favorite things to do with my Roman coins is hold them. Hold all of them in my hand. At once.
    Gordian III collection.jpg

My entire Gordian III collection. Yes, it's just a mere 12 coins at this time, but it will grow. However, if I held my Indian Head Cent collection like this, I would be yelled at.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Nice shot! It reminds me that these were really used for everyday things. I wonder how much wine those denarii would buy.

Pellinore likes this.
  4. swish513

There's actually only 1 denarius is the pic. The rest of the silver is Antoniniani. Not sure how much inflation affected the price of wine, but I bet I could buy a couple of bottles with what's in my hand.

5. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Though Diocletian's “Edict of Maximum Prices” was issued almost 60 years after the rule of Gordian III, it lists prices for wine and beer

Wine & Beer
    Prices refer to one sextarius. 1 sextarius=1.14 Pints or .546 liters
    beer, Celtic or Pannonian ....................................................................................4
    Egyptian ............................................................................................................2
    Aminean, Falernian, Picene, Sabine, Tiburtine regional wines ................................30
    aged wine .........................................................................................................24
    second quality ...................................................................................................16
    chrysattic wine ..................................................................................................24
    Maeonian wine, boiled down one-third ................................................................30
    must, boiled down .............................................................................................16
    must, boiled down one-half ................................................................................20
    rose wine ..........................................................................................................20
    spiced wine .......................................................................................................24
    wine with wormwood.........................................................................................20
    vin ordinaire (ordinary wine) ...............................................................................8

here is a page with more data, from Ancient Coins for Education (ACE).

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/edict/

Pellinore, Jwt708, randygeki and 4 others like this.
  6. swish513

Are those prices in Denarii?

7. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

"All the prices and wages are listed in denarii communes, which were not actually silver denarii as we usually think of when discussing ancient Roman coinage. Denarii communes, or d.c., were notational currency. What this means is, an exchange rate was given, telling how much of the currency in circulation at that time (nummii) it took to equal one d.c. This made it easy to change the value of the money in circulation, without having to rewrite and redistribute the entire Edict. A series of exchange tables are at the end of this page."

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/edict/

Jwt708 likes this.
  8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Agreed! The tactile pleasure of handling ancient coins is great. It's one of the reasons I don't care for slabs.

Jwt708 and Smojo like this.
  9. swish513

Ok, I'm dumb. 1 Antoninianus was 1 d.c.?

10. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Maybe some Mad Dog or Wild Irish Rose but not good wine, lol.

swish513 likes this.
  11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that's a cool shot swish, and some nice looking coins!

so why all gordian iii? just out of curiosity

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Some jingle in your toga.

swish513 and John Anthony like this.
  13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I have two Alexander Tets, and to hold both of them in my hand is a rush. I wonder why people think coin collectors are weird???

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Those do look like a nice group and will not suffer too badly from being held.

15. hoth2

hoth2 Well-Known Member

One of my favorite coin experiences is putting all the silver on a tabletop altogether. Something about letting all those emperors get to know one another..

Pellinore, Theodosius and swish513 like this.
  16. swish513

It's what I collect. Not sure why, just have a fascination with him. The boy emperor. Died, or murdered (depends on what you think happened) at a very young age, but was still the ruler of Rome. His story is close to King Tut's story, just a few thousand years apart. There's not a lot known about Gordian III, which is what I think draws me to him. To solve the unsolved. I dunno. At any rate, I collect him, and that's my entire Gordian III collection in my hand.

Theodosius likes this.
  17. swish513

I don't hold them all the time, but I just got 2 new ones today, bringing my total to 12, so I thought I'd take a pic with all of them. They will go back to their resting places soon. Maybe in another year, when there are more, I will get them all back together in my hand and take another pic.

18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

One of my tactilely favorite coins.

001_019.JPG

Theodosius, JBGood, Mikey Zee and 4 others like this.
  19. swish513

They were also once held 1700+ years ago, and no one thought that was bad. They will be fine.

20. swish513

It is kinda crazy to think about it that way. These were the dollars and quarters of their time.

21. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I agree, it is cool to hold ancient coins, and not too bad for the coins. I like big bronze -
    2.17.16 003.JPG
    2.17.16 004.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted