Cool Slab for a trachy

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dadams, Apr 11, 2018.

1. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

This probably could have gone in the recent Bargain Bin thread, but I didn't have it in hand yet. In any case I thought you all may enjoy seeing a slab which I won't have to crack. At 92.88 delivered I think I did ok.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Came also with a TPG photo cert.

[​IMG]

I pulled it out to measure and weigh - 31.72mm, 4.26g - and examine a bit more closely but haven't attributed - looks to be SB 1942 in Wildwinds

This gets to join my Alexius III Angelus-Comnenus, AD 1195-1203 Billon Trachy; 30mm, 3.3g

[​IMG]

I'd like to see more capital plastic holders for ancients if there are any out there and as always post your trachys or whatever else you wish.

-d

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

As trachys go, that is fabulous!

Caesar_Augustus and dadams like this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I have a couple but they are nowhere near as impressive. Nice find!

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

WOW @dadams , really nice holder! You can take it out, hold, but have it in a cool protective case. Very nice. Those trachys can be pretty "thick" due their bowl configuration. How "deep is that trachy, and that holder must have some depth to it!

I have a trachy, even though I really do not collect this "modern" period in History:

upload_2018-4-11_15-32-49.png
    BZ Manuel I Comnenus 1143-1180 CE Aspron Trachy 35mm 46g Christ Gospels Labaran globus cruciger Virgin maphorium SB 1966 scyphate

6. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

For 92.88 :jawdrop:
    That's a steal. A billon trachy can cost more than half that price. I would have bought it too.
    b279.jpg
    Alexius I/ Transitional
    AR Histamenon Nomisma
    1081 to 1082 AD
    Obvs: ::KЄRO ΛΛЄϞIω IC XC, Christ bearded and nimbate wearing tunic and kolobion. Holds gospels in left hand
    Revs: ·ΔIMITI ΔϵCΠTH, St. Demetrius standing 3/4 facing presenting labarum to Alexius which holds sword and grasps shaft of labarum.
    27x29mm, 4.17g.
    Thessalonica mint
    Ref: Sear 1904, DOC 4.1

b005.jpg
    Alexius III
    Billon Aspron Trachy
    1195 to 1203 AD
    Obvs: IC XC + KЄ ROHΘЄI, Christ wearing nimbus.
    Revs: AΛЄЭIω, Alexius and St. Constantine holding globus.
    25mm, 3.1g.
    Constantinople mint
    Ref: Sear 2012

downloadfile.gif
    Andronicus I
    Billon Aspron trachy
    1183 to 1185 AD
    Constantinople Mint
    Obvs: MP OV, The Virgin facing on dias, nimbate and wearing pallium and maphorium. She holds infant Christ.
    Revs: ANΔPONIKOC ΔЄCΠOTHC, Christ on right crowning Andronicus, who holds labarum and globus.
    30mm, 3.8g
    Ref: Sear 1985

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    dlhill132, Publius, Neal and 11 others like this.
  7. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

I don't have a micrometer to get inside the bowl so I measured a couple spots around the edge and got readings between .55 and .68mm
    The white sheet of plastic, in between the two clear sheets, is 3/16" thick and the trachy is very tightly sandwiched when the screw posts are tightened down.

Orfew and Alegandron like this.
  8. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

I love that .gif!

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is a nice holder for a coin type that can be broken if forced into tight spaces. I have absolutely no problems with slabs that have access screws.

10. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

You did great with that trachy and the holder is really cool too. Can't beat that price at all! Here is one of my recent acquisitions that came from a group lot of about 180 coins. Its tiny at about 10-15mm...

Kingdom of Thessalonica: John Comnenus-Ducas (1237-1242) BI Trachy, Thessalonica (CLBC 14.1.4; Jordanov pl. XXXVI, 4-6)

Obv: Brockage
    Rev: Full-length figure of emperor on left, and of Virgin nimbate, holding between them cross within circle, surmounting triangular decoration on long shaft. Emperor wears stemma, divitision, collar-piece and paneled loros of simplified type; holds anexikakia in right hand. Virgin wears tunic and maphorion.

[​IMG]

11. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..that is a nice one D, i've yet to have a cup coin though not because of lack of bidding on'em.. very kool slab too! :)

12. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

13. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

What a nice coin! You did very well! And a sensible holder, too! Here are a few of my trachea. The second, a very worn Alexius I from Thessalonica, S. 1926, but with the first 2 letters of Χρίστος engraved on the worn obverse, presumably to compensate for the lack of the original type of a seated Christ.
    S1905ao.JPG S1905ar.JPG S1926.jpg

14. Aidan_()

I forgot to ask this @dadams what is your camera set up? That photo of the trachy is awesome.

dadams likes this.
  15. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

@Quant.Geek - I'm glad that got saved, its pretty cool

@Voulgaroktonou - That 1st one is really nice!

Yep, I did a nice job on that slab, uh? But, I'm guessing you mean the shot of the Alexius III. I can't take credit for that awesome shot so I give a shout out to @stldanceartist who has taken a number of photographs for me. Benjamin used to shoot my moderns for me, but I'm getting him up to speed on the ancients!

Here is about the best I can do myself:

[​IMG]

16. Aidan_()

Yeah I did mean the Alexis. ;) That is cool! I always like his photos, had no idea he was, slowly, doing ancients! Thanks!

dadams likes this.
  17. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

I have come to the realization that the only way to photograph trachae is to use an indirect light to avoid the glare and to take multiple shots and auto-blend to remove blurry areas. Doug had a great thread on auto-blending a while ago. I use photoshop and its a snap with it as long as you load the set of images as a stack...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    dadams likes this.
  18. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

I'm not too sure what happened to the 1st instance of this I posted (I wasn't signed-in at the time - when I signed-in, it apparently disappeared) so I apologize if it's a duplicate - however I did add another photo to this version:
    This Alexius I in a very silvery-colored billon is perhaps the most visually striking (among the billon specimens - not counting gold or electrum) I have:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.stoa.org/gallery/album132/13_Alexius_I?full=1

Among the more typically billon-colored, and seldom well-struck trachys, this Manuel I has clear types on both faces as well as a significant legible portion in the reverse legend
    [​IMG]
    http://www.stoa.org/gallery/album132/20_Manuel_I?full=1

But I find this among the most interesting - an officially clipped Andronicus I trachy which was cut-down and circulated in Bulgaria:[​IMG]
    http://www.stoa.org/gallery/album132/B02_Bulgarian_imit_scyphate?full=1

Draft saved Draft deleted