Cool original mailing holder for the 1936 Lynchburg commemorative half dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by biohc, Aug 4, 2015.

1. biohc

biohc Well-Known Member

Here's my most recent and interesting purchase. This is an original mailing holder for the 1936 Lynchburg commemorative halves. Not only is the holder neat but it still has all 5 beautifully toned coins in it!! MVC-246S.JPG MVC-247S.JPG MVC-249S.JPG MVC-248S.JPG Check out the photos, it's amazing. I couldn't believe it when the lady showed them to me. I knew at that moment I had to own it and fortunately I now do. It's hard to believe that these stayed together all these years in such great condition. In fact, there is another holder with no coins which I may sell later. This is the neatest thing I bought in many years.

Knightly, Hommer, Kirkuleez and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

That is neat! There are a number of different style holders like this. Some have a straight tab across the middle. Naturally, the toning is called "tab toning". Most of those I've seen hold 3 coins.

Chris

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

In the Breen-Swiatek book they say that about 100 of those original holders are known

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Really neat. Amazing it's complete and in such great shape. I'd have bought it as well. Thanks for sharing.

6. Keyman64

Keyman64 Well-Known Member

Very cool, congrats!

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Man that's a cool find! Congrats on a grand pickup.

Where'd ya find this beautiful set?

8. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

That's really awesome. Thanks for posting.
    Please keep it together!

9. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

thats cool
    how much u paid???
    pm me

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

great pick up.

11. biohc

biohc Well-Known Member

Well, now there's 102!

12. coindudeonebay

coindudeonebay SMS Guru

This is an awesome representation of where and how "Tab Toning" happen. Thanks for showing us!!

13. green18

Shoot, Mike don't kiss and tell. Besides. If ya have to ask, the price is way, way over your head.........:)

14. biohc

biohc Well-Known Member

Well, I paid more than the coins are worth for sure. I didn't steal anything here.

15. green18

Where'd you pick them up? Major show? Shop? Something like this is most difficult to locate. Was a trusted dealer on the lookout for these?

16. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

17. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Neat rarity (the holder I mean!). Are you going to keep the coins in it?

18. biohc

biohc Well-Known Member

I'm going to keep it just the way it is and hopefully will never be forced to sell it.

19. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

If you sell it, don't take it to pawnstars. Rick will say "Well, there isn't a lot of demand for this sort of thing, and the inside of the holder is in pretty bad shape with all of those wrinkles and that torn part.....I'll give ya fifty bucks, and that's way more than it's worth. I'm only offering it because I like neat things like this."

Tater likes this.
  20. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

There is an NGC board member who is writing a book about the early commemoratives, and collects a lot of this sort of stuff. He'd probably like to see your set. His board-name is LeeG.

Draft saved Draft deleted