Cool Coin - Russia Ivan the Terrible - Odd TruView

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by ddddd, Apr 4, 2016.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

A recent pick-up, a 1/2 Denga from the reign of Ivan IV (Ivan the Terrible).

From what I can tell there are two separate issues with him, one as Grand Duke, between 1533 and 1547. Then there is the period of Ivan as tsar, that my coin covers: 1547-1584.

Also, while PCGS tends to do a great job with their TruView photos, this one seems to have slipped by (it looks like the coin fell off from their stand?).
    This is unusual for a TruView, right?

http://www.pcgs.com/cert/33171685

I believe these coins are fairly common. If anyone wants to add any information or share their own examples, I'd be thrilled!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Photos courtesy of ebay seller "macvanderstein"

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I think it's on the stand, but the camera is oddly misaimed. You could probably send it back in to have them re-shoot it if you wanted.

4. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

You can also try emailing the TrueView folks. A lot of times, they have multiple shots they can provide for you. They usually shoot each coin two or three times quickly and save the images.

panzerman likes this.
  5. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Nice coin! I saw a gold kopeck in CNG auction, same horseman type/wire money. But it was a novodel or 19th century restrike....still much dinaro.

ddddd likes this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that's a pretty nice one! i have a rougher example...

[​IMG]

i think it's the same as yours?

Siberian Man, Paul M. and ddddd like this.
  7. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

The first coin: I can read the caption (црь i князь велiк - "tsar and the great prince"). It is an old Russian language - it ceased to be used more than 200 years ago.

8. Siberian Man

Yes it's true.

9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

cyrillic correct?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrillic_script

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That looks like one of their older secure plus photos taken while it was in the secure plus "sniffer" before secure plus photos were switched to trueviews. The editing software cropped some interesting results from time to time with that older method.

lordmarcovan and Paul M. like this.
  11. Siberian Man

chrsmat71 likes this.
  12. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I know this is an old thread, but you can email them and they can go in and manually crop it, the automatic cropping software makes errors sometimes.

13. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yes, that's a Secure Plus photo from their "sniffer" equipment, not a TrueView. That tells me this coin was slabbed before TrueView images came included with Secure Plus. Up until two or so years ago, you used to have to pay extra for TrueView on top of the Secure Plus fees.

Now it's included, which eases some of my grumbles about how PCGS forces all World coins to be submitted through the Secure Plus tier, whether you want it or not.

Personally, I don't give a fig for the Secure Plus features like the electronic sniffer and all that, most of the time, but I do like TrueViews.

And one nice thing about TrueView being included with Secure Plus now is that more and more often, when you're searching eBay and see a World coin in a PCGS holder with the gold Secure Plus shield, that means there's a fair chance there's a TrueView on the cert page, unless it's an earlier Secure Plus holder like this one.

PS- I now see @baseball21 already pretty much covered everything I just said, with 1/4 the verbosity. And I'm late in coming here. Oh well.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Hookman, SorenCoins and ddddd like this.
  14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

They changed it some the begging of the year. Secure plus is gone it’s now just called gold shield which have a new AI feature to help detect counterfeits.

SorenCoins and ddddd like this.
  15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Aha. I've not hung out on their forums as much since I started posting here.

SorenCoins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted