Cool blue dime!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Orange Gold, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Orange Gold

Orange Gold Junior Member

Well I was going through dimes trying to find some silver dimes.. rather then looking at dates I turned them all vertically so that I could view the edge of the coins.. seeing many clads I was beginning to give up then I notice one cool clad dime... instead of having a brown and grey edge it had a blue and gray edge.. all the way around. the edge of the dime was half blue and half grey! astonishing! It probably isn't worth anything because I'm guessing it's just tarnish but still I think the coin looks beautiful with the blue add-on :p
    Check it out! 3 photos below.

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

possibly corrosion depending on where it has been left.

4. Penny Lane

Penny Lane Wheaties for Breakfast???

I've ran a few dimes through our oven at work (~500 degrees) and they turn a purple/blue color in spots. Maybe the edges were exposed to heat?

5. Orange Gold

When you say they turn blue.. Do you mean like this?
    [​IMG]

capthank likes this.
  6. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Wow! That is an old photograph. Almost didn't recognize my own work. Here is the update photo which is a more accurate representation of the actual coin.

[​IMG]

BTW, I no longer own this coin!

7. Orange Gold

How much did you sell it for... Do you know what caused the blue.

8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

IIRC I sold it for $80 to a member of this forum. I don't know what caused the toning but I can say that it is a very common color on silver Roosevelt Dimes. Here are some more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was working on a blue toned Roosevelt registry set but have since abandoned the project.

9. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

I'll just jump into the blue'ness

[​IMG]

but I'm not entirely sure what would cause the rim to turn a solid blue like that.

10. Orange Gold

That's the word I'm looking for... RIM! haha

Also the rim looks like its tarnished blue.. I don't know.. I have a bunch of really cool toned coins like the blue dime above except on the obverse and reverse not the rim.. I'll post them in a bit! (ex. silver pennies, gold quarters, rainbow nickels, black pennies.. etc.)

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The rim on the coin in question did not turn blue. Only the edge of the coin turned blue, at least in the pictures. (look at the center pic in the OP)

The rim is the flat part around the obverse and the reverse - a coin has 2 rims.

The edge is the part with the reeding - a coin only has 1 edge.

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I hope you don't hold all of your coins like that. Tsk! Tsk!

Chris

Attached Files:

13. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

Some copper compounds turn blue when hydrated, so It's likely the copper corroded.

14. Orange Gold

Only the circulated ones.

15. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

16. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

ah,. you're right.

17. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Did somebody say a blue dime?????
    [​IMG]

wxcoin and Goldsayshi463 like this.
  18. Penny Lane

Penny Lane Wheaties for Breakfast???

I would say similar but not exactly. It was a while ago I did it. If I remember I will run a few more through tomorrow and post them tomorrow night.

19. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

heres another in hopes of seeing more

[​IMG]

20. Rozi

Rozi New Member

I have one which is dark green to black blueish but from 2005D? Is it interesting? Looks like the above one. The color is equal on entire surface on both sites.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  21. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

People are going to tell you this thread is 8 years old. Doesn't matter to me.
    Generally a color like blue or green on a "clad" dime (mostly copper) is not going to be a good thing. Always try to include clear photos of both sides and the edge (if nec.).

Draft saved Draft deleted