Cool Bank Find

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinman1234, Feb 5, 2016.

1. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I went to the bank today, while I was there I asked if they had any cool old coins or paper money. They know me there and save anything cool for me. Anyways, she told me that she had a roll of wheat cents someone brought in and four loose ones from her tray. Anyways, I was thrilled with such a cool find, I never have gotten that many wheat cent :). The roll is pretty old and marked "Wheat Pennies", my guess it that it is from someone decided to set aside some wheat cents, shortly after they changed the design. I checked the roll, most are from the 1940's and 1950's, with a few older ones. I put them back in the paper roll after searching them and put the the roll of them in a plastic tube. Sometime I will check them for errors :)
    DSC_0309.JPG DSC_0306.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nice find

coinman1234 likes this.
  4. Very cool

coinman1234 likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It pays to be friends with the bank tellers. Nice find!

coinman1234 likes this.
  6. coinman1234

It seems that you get more stuff from tellers than hunting rolls. That roll of Wheat Cents would taken me around 5 boxes of cents to complete!

Collecting Nut likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Very cool! After you check them for varieties, then you can carefully re-wrap them and sell it as a "TOTALLY UNSEARCHED" roll.

Chris

coinman1234 likes this.
  8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

And don't forget to put a siler dime at one end:rolleyes:

coinman1234 likes this.
  9. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

And call it "An Estate Find"...

dwhiz and coinman1234 like this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Oh yeah! @ years ago I went to my bank and asked for 1 roll of dimes for the office. She gave me a hand wrapped roll and said "you may want to check them first". I did. I peeled the end back saw a silver dime and opened the end more. I poured a few into my hands, put them back in the roll and checked the other end. I asked if she had more. With a great big smile she said a customer brought in these 2 rolls. I was saving them for you. Both rolls were 100% silver dimes, Roosevelt's and Mercs. I'd still be searching every roll I could and I'd never find 100 silver dimes.

11. coinman1234

I searched a few boxes a week after work for a month in February 2014, I ended up finding over 100 silver dimes, don't give up it's possible with ALOT of work. Just don't expect any profit, you pay more with gas to drive to the banks than what you get :). It's funny that you can have that one big find greater than what would have taken weeks. In late 2014 someone at a supermarket who knew I collected coins told me that months ago they got 32 walking liberty halves and they still had them. It took me one mintute to get 32 walking liberty half dollars for face, I have never even found a single one in a roll! It just proves how just on bit of luck is can give more than hours of work!
    [​IMG]
    The coin on the very bottom of the photo is a '64 quarter which the same person also saved for me that day.

NOS and NSP like this.
  12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Hmm? I wonder what else she is saving for you?

Chris:woot::woot::woot::woot:

13. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Any good dates in there?

coinman1234 likes this.
  14. coinman1234

Are you asking about the halves or the cents? The cents were all common dates.

The halves had two 1917p, also every date and mintmark (except for a couple, such as 1938d) from 1934-1947

Edit: Here is a list I found of the ones I found. Certainly a good starter for of my Walking Liberty set, considering I only had a couple walking liberty halves in my collection before this. This is also the grade I buy most of my Walking Liberty halves in. I like how to they look worn and it is more affordable when completing a set.

1917p X2
    1934p
    1934s
    1935p X2
    1936P
    1936d
    1937p X2
    1938p
    1939p X2
    1940p X2
    1941p X2
    1941s
    1942p X2
    1942s
    1943p
    1943s
    1944p X2
    1944d
    1945p
    1945s
    1946p X2
    1947p X2

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  15. Russ50

Russ50 New Member

My father worked at a super market when I was very young this guy came in and bought his groceries with morgan silver dollars. My dad bought them. Then my parents separated and my mom had taken the coins . they were stolen by the baby sitter she hired to watch me. She had no idea who had taken them until the baby sitters father had a morgan silver dollar glued to his belt buckle. My mom had asked were he got it such an interesting buckle. He said his daughter our baby sitter had found a bunch of them? My mother confronted them and said they were coins stolen from her room. The father said are you calling my daughter a lyre. He then said my daughter is never sitting for your kid and how dare you say such a thing. I know this because I was there listing to this craziness. I was about 8 or so?

coinman1234 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted