Convention stories and coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I just returned home after several days at the Royal Canadian Numismatic Convention in Toronto, Canada. As usual there were only 3 dealers who dealt mostly with ancients and as @Jay GT4 has said in another thread, there were a few others with a few ancients.

Here are the coins in the order of acquisition.

The first one is a Iudea Capta denarius. I kept seeing people post theirs so I had to have one of course. this one is dedicated to all of the enablers on this board.
    vepsasian ivdea.jpg

The second one I bought is also courtesy of the enablers here at Cointalk. @TIF is to blame for this one;)

cloacin .jpg

The next one I thought about for about 1 day before I bought it. It has a hole and I do not collect coins with holes. However, this one was cheap for its type and has a very nice portrait.

A PAX type of King William I the conquerer

william I penny.jpg

Many of you know I have been collecting coins of the family of King Henry II. I Have Henry, Eleanor, Geoffrey, Guillaume X,Richard, and Louis VII of France.

I needed a penny of John.

john penny.jpg

As you know I set up an exhibit at the show. Maybe some are wondering how I did.
    In my category 'D' there were 2 competitive exhibits.........

ribbon.jpg

Many thanks to @Deacon Ray and @TIF for their incredible help with the display.

However, I did not just win a ribbon...something came with it...
    RCNA medal.jpg

It is a one ounce pure silver coin with the Avro Arrow on the obverse and my name on the reverse.

I had a wonderful time at the show. One of the highlights was meeting @Jay GT4 .

Please feel free to pile on with anything you like.

dlhill132, akeady, Curtisimo and 28 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Congratulations on the award and for acquiring your own Sewer Goddess denarius! Look like your coin has really great relief. I did not intend any bathroom pun with that but it just came out.

I will of course shamelessly plug one of my favorite writeups again.

[​IMG]
    Moneyer issues of Imperatorial Rome
    L. Mussidius Longus, 42 BCE

AR denarius, Rome mint.
    Obv: Diademed and veiled head of Concordia right; CONCORDIA upwards behind; star in right field below chin
    Rev: Shrine of Venus Cloacina: Circular platform surmounted by two statues of the goddess, each resting right hand on cippus, the platform inscribed CLOACIN and ornamented with trellis-pattern balustrade, flight of steps and portico on left; L • MVSSIDIVS • LONGVS around above.
    Ref: Crawford 494/42b; Bab. 6; BMC 4244; Crawf. 494/42 b; Syd. 1093 a
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancients-a-deity-worthy-of-respect.251682/

[​IMG]
    Moneyer issues of Imperatorial Rome. L. Mussidius Longus, 42 BC. AR denarius, Rome mint. Radiate and draped bust of Sol facing slightly right / Shrine of Venus Cloacina: Circular platform surmounted by two statues of the goddess, each resting right hand on cippus, the platform inscribed CLOAC and ornamented with trellis-pattern balustrade, flight of steps and portico on left; L • MVSSIDIVS • LONGVS around above. Crawford 494/43b; CRI 189a; Sydenham 1094a; Kestner 3758-9 var. (CLOACIN); BMCRR Rome 4252-4; Mussidia 7a. Acquired from a dealer at the 2014 ANA World's Fair of Money, Chicago.

[​IMG]

Moneyer issues of Imperatorial Rome. L. Mussidius Longus. 42 BC. AR denarius, Rome mint. Diademed and veiled head of Concordia right; CONCORDIA upwards behind / Shrine of Venus Cloacina: Circular platform surmounted by two statues of the goddess, each resting right hand on cippus, the platform inscribed CLOACIN and ornamented with trellis-pattern balustrade, flight of steps and portico on left; L • MVSSIDIVS • LONGVS around above. Crawford 494/42a; CRI 188; Sydenham 1093; Kestner 3753-4; BMCRR Rome 4242-3; Mussidia 6b. Acquired from a dealer at the 2014 ANA World's Fair of Money, Chicago.

4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

It looks like you had a great show. Nice “Judaea Capta”. Also, very envious of that Venus Cloacina!

Orfew likes this.
  5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Cool coins! Congratulations on the win and that's a pretty sweet medal too.

Orfew likes this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Cool coin @Orfew and congrats your your coin display win! Sounds like an awesome show!

Orfew likes this.
  7. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Great work, @Orfew and great coins! I'm glad the panels worked out. Congratulations on the ribbon!

Orfew likes this.
  8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

What a beautiful haul of coins! Ang congrats on the sweet award!!
    I was pretty "exited" when I got my fouree Cloacina (sellers photos)...
    264701.jpg

dlhill132, Orfew, Jwt708 and 13 others like this.
  9. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Awesome Coins, @TIF ! When you mentioned Sewer Goddess I thought you were referring to the "musical" artist: https://soundcloud.com/sewer-goddess (scary stuff :blackalien:). This is the first time I've heard of Venus Cloacina. Amazing, the things I've learned here! :wideyed:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    benhur767 and Roman Collector like this.
  10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Congratulations on a successful and prize-winning exhibit! Nice coin acquisitions, too!

Orfew likes this.
  11. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Great pick ups Andrew! I got to see most of them in person. It was nice to finally put a face to the name. Here's my Capta and sewer coins

normal_Vespasian_0.jpg

Longus.jpg

12. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Congrats Orfew!
    No sewer coins in my collection but this capta type is one of my all time favorites.
    Vespasian Denarius for web.jpg

dlhill132, Jwt708, Curtisimo and 11 others like this.
  13. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Nemo yours looks like Vitellius while mine like Otho!

Nemo, TIF and benhur767 like this.
  14. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Wonderful Orfew! The Avro Arrow has a special place in Canadian aviation and technological history .. many of the engineers went on to work for NASA in the '60s - amazing item to have!

If anyone has any interest in those fields here is the wiki.. it was quite the political soap opera in its day:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada_CF-105_Arrow

*I am about 90 minutes drive from Mississauga, Ontario so I think I will attempt to make it in 2019 and hopefully meet up with Orfew and Jat GT4 next time! I have never been to a large coin show.

Orfew, benhur767 and Jay GT4 like this.
  15. Congratulations. Some great coins you've got there.

Orfew likes this.
  16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Congrats :)

Orfew likes this.
  17. AnYangMan

AnYangMan Well-Known Member

Even though it is holed, I absolutely love that William the Conqueror Paxs! Edric on London, right?

Congrats on your award!

Orfew likes this.
  18. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks @AnYangMan

I love it too. Yes, I think you are correct on the moneyer.

AnYangMan likes this.
  19. carpman98

carpman98 Active Member

Like the ANA national convention, the RCNA convention moves around the country to a different location each year. In 2019, the show will be in Calgary Alberta, and in 2021, it is scheduled to be in Ottawa. Not sure of the venue for 2020, but possibly in the Atlantic provinces somewhere.

Orfew and akeady like this.
  20. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Congrats on winning the competition, Orfew. Nice coins too!

Orfew likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted