Continuing my Byzantine Italian mini-spurge...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Jul 2, 2015.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Lately added three to my collection (of which I've shown two so far), but this is a big one for me since I've really wanted for a long time a rare half-follis struck in Rome (I'm still looking for the follis at the right price, however).

I've told about the pivotal conflict that was the Gothic War between the Eastern Romans/Byzantines and the Ostrogoths in previous threads, so I'll just add this time that these Rome mint half-folles of Justinian were struck right after first capture of Rome by the Roman army in 537 and struck until around 542 AD. This latter date coincides with the resurgence under King Totila of the previously weakened and demoralized Goths. After decisive victories in Verona and at Faventia in that year, the Goths quickly overran most of Italy at the expense of the disunited (and not to mention broke) Roman leadership. I'd imagine the loss of most of Italy (with the exception of Rome, Ravenna and a few other cities and fortresses) made it very difficult to transport large amounts of metal to Rome, and this led to the cessation of minting there until the second capture of Rome by the Romans in the spring of 547 AD.

Byzantine Rome mint bronzes of this time retained the cruder style present on Ostrogothic bronze coins, namely the bowl haircut, the thick bust features, and the wreath border on the reverse.

Justinian I, Eastern Roman Empire
    AE half-follis
    Obv: D N IVSTI-NIANVS P P AVG, diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: Large K, star to left, cross to right, all within wreath
    Mint: Rome (struck 537-542 AD)
    Ref: SB 301

[​IMG]
    (seller's photo, not in hand yet)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

For Rome, that is nice!

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Very nice! The photo style looks familiar... Shick? I have oodles of his coins in my Vcoins wishlist.

Ancientnoob and swamp yankee like this.
  5. ValiantKnight

Thanks guys! Yes TIF this is from Shick, first coin I've gotten from them and from our communications they seem like very a good and respectable seller.

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. ValiantKnight

This one and another were the only ones I found on sale. The other was cheaper and had a little more detail in the bust and no sand patina but unsightly pitting on the obverse and reverse.

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Truly like this one VK even though I'm not generally impressed with Byzantine coins. But this one has good eye appeal.

8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Just be ready to wait. Shick is above-board, so all the coins that leave his shop have to be registered with the Israeli Antiquities authorities, or some such red tape. Then they sit in New York ISC. Sometimes I've waited a month for my coins to arrive, but they've always arrived.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Cool score, Jango ... I've never bought a coin from Schick before, but I have noticed their stuff on several occasions (congrats)

:rolleyes:

10. ValiantKnight

Where's that polar bear facepalm photo Steve sometimes post when you need it? :banghead:

Seriously though thanks for the heads up John. Hopefully this time it will be like when it took only a week for a coin from Israel to get to me.

11. ValiantKnight

Thanks!

12. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Sweet coin VK! Love the patina.

13. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Looks like a good piece to me,congrats!

14. ValiantKnight

Thanks all! I will post that other Byzantine Italian coin I got very soon :D

15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

very cool VK, i'd love a rome mint byzantine.

the style is very different than the eastern mint coins isn't it?

Mikey Zee likes this.
  16. ValiantKnight

Yeah, I've noticed. Eastern coins in general for me look more "fancy" than western Byzantine mints, especially the forward-facing bust coins.

17. ValiantKnight

Here is the other Byzantine Italian coin I acquired. These large V pentanummi (5 nummi) of Justinian are of Italian origin, but there is no definite consensus on the mint(s) that struck this type. Rome and an unknown Sicilian mint are the main candidates. Another possibility that these were struck by the Ostrogothic Kingdom during King Theodoric's reign. Until new evidence comes to light I will just consider this Byzantine (it has a Sear Byzantine number) with the place of striking as an unknown Italian mint. This one is better than most, even with the weak reverse. Another interesting thing about it is the misspelling of the first part of Justinian's name (the rest is off-flan). There is an extra I in front of Justinian's name (the original Latin version of the name "Justinian" is IVSTINIANVS). My example is 12 mm wide.

[​IMG]

Mikey Zee, zumbly, Pishpash and 6 others like this.
  18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great portrait and Patina. I like that one.

ValiantKnight likes this.
  19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet Large V, my friend ...

;)

=> very cool new pickup (congrats, Jango => you rock)

Ancientnoob likes this.
  20. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Nice high V VK. I too love these Italian Byzantine coins. They can be very pricey for pretty! Yours is very nice.

21. ValiantKnight

Thanks. I made offers on both and they were accepted so I manged to get these nice examples for prices I was comfortable with.
    Thanks again Steve!

Ancientnoob likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted