Continued post for Great Britain 1868 farthing

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by SRSNUM, Feb 26, 2021.

1. SRSNUM

SRSNUM Well-Known Member

For the sake of clarity, this post is an extension of the previously posted 1868 farthing.

Below are images with comments of the reverses of CIH and AAF B and Ba reverses.

COIN IN HAND:NOTE THE CLOSENESS OF THE 'F' TO THE INNER
    CIRLCLE. NOTE LARGE DISTANCE OF THE DENTICLES ABOVE THE INNER CIRCLE. COMPARE WITH Allaboutfarthings B reverse BELOW.
    GREATBRITAINFARTHING1868REV3.jpg

Allaboutfarthings B reverse: NOTE THE F IS FAR FROM THE INNER CIRCLE. NOTE TOO, THAT ALL THE DENTICLES ARE CLOSER TO THE INNER CIRCLE THAN THOSE OF THE COH ABOVE AND THAT THE LAST FOUR DENTICLES ON THE RIGHT ARE NEARLY IN CONTACT
    WITH THE INNER CIRCLE
    1868-VB-3B-Rev2.jpg

CIH: NOTE THE R & T ARE SEPERATED FROM THE INNER CIRCLE AND THAT ALL THE DENTICLES ARE SEPERATED FROM THE INNER CIRCLE.
    GREATBRITAINFARTHING1868REV4.jpg

Allaboutfarthings B reverse: NOTE THE R IS VIRTUALLY IN CONTACT
    WITH THE INNER CIRLCE. THE UPPER LEFT SERIF OF THE T IS IN
    CONTACT WITH THE INNER CIRLCE AS ARE ALL THE DENTICLES.
    1868-VB-3B-Rev3.jpg

COMMENT: THE ABOVE FOUR IMAGES SHOULD BE SUFFICIENT TO INDICATE THE THE COIN IN HAND REVERSE DIE IS A DIFFERENT DIE FROM THE REVERSE DIE THAT STRUCK THE Allaboutfarthings B reverse.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

COIN IN HAND:NOTE THE CLOSENESS OF THE 'F' TO THE INNER
    CIRLCLE. NOTE LARGE DISTANCE OF THE DENTICLES ABOVE THE INNER CIRCLE.
    GREATBRITAINFARTHING1868REV3.jpg

Allaboutfarthings Ba reverse: NOTE SPACE BETWEEN THE F AND THE INNER CIRCLE. ALL DENTICLES APPEAR CLOSE TO THE INNER CIRCLE.
    1868-VB-3Ba-Rev2.jpg

CIH: NOTE THE R & T ARE SEPERATED FROM THE INNER CIRCLE AND THAT ALL THE DENTICLES ARE SEPERATED FROM THE INNER CIRCLE.
    GREATBRITAINFARTHING1868REV4.jpg

Allaboutfarthings Ba reverse:NOTE THE FIRST FOUR & SIXTH DENTICLES FROM THE RIGHT TOUCH THE INNER CIRCLE
    1868-VB-3Ba-Rev3.jpg

IT APPEARS FROM THE ABOVE IMAGES THAT THE DIE THAT STRUCK THE COIN IN HAND REVERSE IS DIFFERENT FROM THE REVERSE DIES AAF B AND AAF Ba LISTED ON THE ALLABOUTFARTHINGS SITE.

THE PREVIOUS POST INDICATES THAT THE CIH OBVERSE DIE IS DIFFERENT FROM THE OBVERSE DIE 3 LISTED ON THE AAF SITE.

IT APPEARS THAT THE COIN IN HAND IS A NEW VARIETY. SHOULD I DESIGNATE IT 3aBb? OR, DO I SIMPLY HAVE THIS ANALYSIS WRONG?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

I would send photos to the farthings site and see what they have to say.

4. SRSNUM

SRSNUM Well-Known Member

Sent the text and images below to the Farthings site on January 23rd, 2021. Have not received a response to date.

Dear Sir: I thought to get in touch with you to confirm a new Great Britain Farthing variety, I may have stumbled upon.

Below, please find a description of the item, along with some digital images, and digital images from your site for comparison.

‘New variety’ Great Britain Farthing 1874 H

Obv:

‘T’ of ‘VICTORIA’ slightly doubled; likely re-punched or re-engraved.

‘B’ of ‘BRITT’ slightly doubled; likely re-punched or re-engraved.

‘R’ of ‘BRITT’ heavily doubled; likely re-punched.

[​IMG]

I have taken the liberty of denoting the obverse of this tentative new variety as 4F.

[​IMG]

Rev:

The first image below is the Coin In Hand. It appears not to exhibit the characteristics of reverse C (see below a cropped image of your reverse C). Note that C exhibits the ‘7’ tilted slightly right. Note also that the CIH appears to exhibit similar characteristics of reverse Ca without the doubling of the 1 in the date, and an upright ‘7’. I have taken the liberty of denoting the reverse of this tentative new variety as Ce.

Coin In Hand

[​IMG]

C

[​IMG]

Ca
    [​IMG]

Trust that the description and images prove useful. Analysis and all comments welcome.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  5. SRSNUM

SRSNUM Well-Known Member

Apologies for the SNAFUED response and attempt to correct the response above. Am unable to get the images in the proper positions. The thumbnails above if they work, are 5 of the 7 images sent in the email to the Farthings site.

Until I receive a response to the first email, I am reluctant to send information to the site for additional offers of help in attributing items.

Draft saved Draft deleted