Continental Dollar was Actually Struck in Europe?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I have been following some very interesting discussions on CU Forums regarding the origins of the Continental Dollar.
    It now appears that evidence now points to it as having been struck in Europe as a token, or similar, in the closing years of the 18th century. Not struck in America, and certainly not intended as circulating currency.

The discussion is extensive and very informative.
    I allow myself to post the links here, for anybody who may be interested:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/946694/continental-dollar-struck-in-europe-nn-article

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12036698#Comment_12036698

As a collector of U.S coins I often dreamt of owning a Continental Dollar....no coin embodied for me better the early history of the US. However, the huge price held me back.
    I even considered selling part of my collection to be able to afford one....
    I am now glad that I did not do that.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if there was even the capability to strike one in anything but pewter in America in 1776. You'd need a hefty, 200+ ton medal press to bring up that design in silver.

While value of these pieces will likely suffer, they won't, by any stretch of the imagination, become cheap.

4. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

messydesk, you bring up a good point with regard to the metal striking capabilities in America around 1776.
    I agree with you, prices will probably not drop considerably. Time will tell.
    This medal/token is (most likely) now to be considered in the same league as the issues struck in England with reference to America, like the Washington pieces, 1791 Cents, Elephant Tokens or the Rhode Island Token. It remains a very interesting item. However, for me, the 'mystique' is considerably reduced.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    longshot likes this.
  5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

There was a very good, and very convincing, article in the January edition of "The Numismatist" that laid out the argument. I highly recommend everyone read it, if you haven't already.

Draft saved Draft deleted