Contest idea ("LordM's Epic Treasure Hunting Game") - see what you think

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 4, 2016.

?

What do you think of this contest idea?

1. Sounds AWESOME! When do we begin?

13 vote(s)
    72.2%
  2. Hm. Could be good. We'll see.

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Sounds interesting, but needs tinkering. I will post suggestions.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Meh. Sounds half-baked. Might be good, might be lame.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. This presents some issues/problems. I'll explain below.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Sounds OK for some folks, but not something I'd be interested in.

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Sounds kind of dumb to me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I haven't watched a Mad Max movie since the original Mel Gibson ones back in the '80s.

They were OK by me in my younger, testosterous 'teens, but nowadays I'm much more of an old fuddy-duddy and gravitate toward documentaries and such instead of Hollywood fare.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

I hear ya, I love documentaries and historical pictures myself, but it is a great flick.
    Think road warrior on steroids

4. lordmarcovan

If I'm ever in the mood for something like that in the wee hours on one one of my night auditor shifts at the hotel, looking to stay awake, I'll give it a go. Never thought I'd watch stuff like Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead. Usually popularity is the kiss of death and makes me steer clear of something, but I did watch and enjoy those two shows, to my surprise. Watched all of Breaking Bad. Made it through a whole season of The Walking Dead before I tired of that.

Me. Watching a TV show about zombies. Never would've thunk it.

5. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Kudos. I can't watch shows with continuous plot lines. I get distracted or lose interest too easily.
    Guess that's why I'm such a sucker for Seinfeld reruns

6. lordmarcovan

OK, we strayed off topic a bit, there. I don't mind. I have a hard time staying on point myself, as you've no doubt noticed.

But back to the Epic Treasure Hunting Game.

I will photograph at least eight more coins from the dug album this morning, so maybe later today, or in the wee hours of Tuesday, we can launch this thing for real.

I am looking forward to this, because reliving these finds and outings is essentially reliving a big portion of my life. I've never kept a diary of my personal life, but these dug coins and the records I kept for them have effectively been that for me. Through them, I remember everything else that was going on in my life at the time I found them. And some of those times were hard times, when digging was my only "therapy". Yet I remember them wistfully today.

This is why I use the title "Digger's Diary" and the coins have "DD-"numbers.

Maybe nobody else will care so much, but at least y'all will have a little contest and I will catch up on archiving and photographing the last quarter-century's worth of my personal adventures.

Up to now it's seemed a chore, which is why I haven't done it yet. But with this little game as an incentive, I might actually get through the project, who knows?

Mikey Zee and Mad Stax like this.
  7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

While I realize this is all in fun with a bit of cool discovery ( and some interesting information), I wonder if those in different time zones might find 'being too late' with their guesses too frustrating?? But I can't offer a solution and so I'll leave that to you;)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

I've thought about this. Haven't really thought of a solution yet. Right now it certainly does seem to favor those of the night owl persuasion, as far as the eastern half of the USA goes (or the overseas folk, since I so often post in the early AM hours Eastern US time).

But I'll try to keep this in mind, and maybe do a few installments where I say something like, "first answer after such-and-such time gets x-number of points".

We'll see. Initially I might be lucky to have any players at all. This will probably start out kind of sleepy and then pick up steam later as more people discover it and start playing along.

Speaking of which....

*** The game is now LIVE on the Contests Forum! ***

:)

Thank y'all for helping with the initial playtesting here, and the support for the idea you expressed in the poll. Now go and read the next story! DD-003's tale has been told, though as of this post, the coin's identity has not yet been revealed!

Draft saved Draft deleted