Contest for YNs... Forum members decide who gets it

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Numismat, May 30, 2015.

1. Walking Sterling Silver

Walking Sterling Silver 16 Years Old and Love to Learn

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Then yer' definitely a YN.

4. Walking Sterling Silver

Essay time!
    I feel the hobby has became more advance so far. Look at it. There are many varieties for coins, errors, types, countries, form. Today there are many different type of collectors. Some for even the most specific things. And some for the most widest ranges of things. Although education is really decreasing, and even common knowledge is being lost by common non collectors. It is being more harder for us kids to collect these days. Very little inspiration. Today you pay everything with credit card or something like that. That's why it is fading. Cash would get you change when your parents went to the grocery, or when you went somewhere to eat. I got inspired. By my grandpa. He doesn't collect, but he got me to. He started sending me state quarters, and state park quarters about this time last year. I've had a little help here and there. Last generation collectors are very generous. I feel our next generation of collecting with be nearly obsolete (I hope to god I'm using that word right). That's why I want to start early, try my hardest, and learn as much as possible. Im a guy who doesn't like to miss out on anything. I can't imagine missing out on a single coin. I am planning already to become a numismatist. Many great collectors have become a mentor to me. I will do all I can for the next generation to inspire as many kids to collect. Being 15 I do all I can to collect. Spend all my money (maybe $300 a year) on coins. I don't have much family support. But I realize the coin community is really my family for all the support. Now today I wonder, how will I ever get out of this addiction haha. I hope to keep my collection and pass it on generations to come and have it grow generation by generation.

Note: If this contest contains bust halves, you have made my month.

God bless you, and God bless America!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    JT Slim, WDF, dlhill132 and 7 others like this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

So far I have read 2 great essays! It's getting good.

ace71499 likes this.
  6. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Are you basing the winners on likes? Because (no offense Walking Sterling Silver) I don't want to like to competition hahaha. Seriously though WSS i thought your essay was good!

7. Walking Sterling Silver

Yeah I just got one of those good intentions and good backstory kind of things lol

8. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Nope, like all you want :)

9. Currently I think the hobbies popularity is declining. I started when I found some different pennies in a container of pennies that you could use to pay the exact amount, turns out the were wheat cents. I stayed in the hobby because I like the thrill of the hunt. I think in the future the hobbies popularity will decline while the price to collect coins will go up.

10. ace71499

Sorry Numismat that your contest didn't go as well as you hoped. To be honest there aren't a lot of YNs that are active on Cointalk so don't feel bad! This contest was one of the more enjoyable ones! I actually put some effort into my response! Can't wait to find out the winner.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  11. Numismat

Today is the last day, so we will know tomorrow :)

12. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I'm only 17 and am quite active here on CT but just chose not to participate

13. Numismat

Why not? If you don't mind me asking

14. Aidan_()

I think it's because it's much more satisfying when you know someone younger than you worked hard to get the prize.

dlhill132, ace71499 and Numismat like this.
  15. Numismat

I like your attitude :)

Aidan_() likes this.
  16. Numismat

Well looks like @ace71499 and @Walking Sterling Silver were the only two to participate with legitimate (and well written) essays.

I think they both win :)

PM me a shipping address and I will mail out your prizes in the next couple days.

dlhill132 and jay4202472000 like this.
  17. Aidan_()

Congrats to the winners!

18. ace71499

Thanks Numismat!!!

19. ace71499

Thanks Numismat!!!

20. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Awesom guys! Congrats!

21. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Actually your right. I looked forward to signing on at night and reading these young guys talk about how they started, why, and how they look at the hobby fron their prospective. For the few we did get, I am impressed and intrigued really. Hope if someone does this again, we get more then two participants.

ace71499 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted