Contest for YNs... Forum members decide who gets it

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Numismat, May 30, 2015.

1. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

So, this contest is for young numismatists, as is generally defined on the forum.

The winner will receive a handful of older US coins, including silver ones. Not going to disclose what, but it's a nice group and literally a handful (may be a few foreign coins included as well). Winner can post it later.

I ask the established members of the forum to decide who should get it based on the following:

Contestants: Give your thoughts on what you feel about the current state of the hobby, why you got involved in it and stay in it, and also what you feel the hobby will be in the future when you become the people that the more seasoned folks here are now.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

And we's (older guys) is the judges?

Numismat likes this.
  4. Numismat

Yes :)

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

How?

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I applaud your effort, but I think the guidelines for judging should be better defined. Otherwise, you're liable to have a half dozen contestants with tie scores.

Chris

goldiralover and Kentucky like this.
  7. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Well so far Chris is the youngest here so he wins ;)

Coinchemistry 2012 and Numismat like this.
  8. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I'm 23 on friday. So I don't fit into either category....

9. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Just turned 21 last week so I don't believe I qualify as a YN quite anymore.

10. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I still act really childish, does that count?

11. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Well lets define YN's because I'm still under 20 but don't know if that counts in this situation

12. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

when you become the people that the more seasoned folks here are now.

Reminding young people that one day they will be cranky, arthritic, obsessional impotent wrecks of their formers selves is just cruel.

13. Numismat

I never tried running a contest before, but so far this one is looking like a total flop

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The idea is fine, you just have to define some things as suggested in the replies. Give it some thought and come back and tell them what they are ;)

15. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

I actually really enjoy the idea of this contest!!
    I believe the current state of the hobby is deteriorating. With all the technology and credit cards I don't think coins are being passed around as much. I feel like with my generation when we become older, wont really even use cash. Right now people don't even need to leave the house to buy things, so money isn't even being circulated. Peoples social lives are just crumbling at the hands of technology! I feel like if i went out and found a buffalo nickel in my change i would be inspired to collect, and people aren't getting that experience anymore. As much as I'd love to have the hobby grow and have new people join, its not growing as fast anymore.
    I got involved in this hobby when i found a 1957 D wheat cent (which i still have) in my little change bin. I got all excited and showed everyone and my interest just grew from there. I'd like to think that now I know a good chunk of information about the hobby, but definitely not an expert. I actually started a coin club at my library, and we have a solid 5 members (it may not seem like a lot, but young kids aren't interested in coins!!!). It's just so fun to teach them about numismatics and see their faces light up when i bring in a new coin. Sometimes we will roll search together, and ill just give everyone what we find (usually only wheaties because that's all we find). I usually raffle something off each class for them, usually something i found roll searching. Anyway enough about the coin club. I also try to help out people on CoinTalk, that counts as being in the numismatic community right!? I stay in the hobby because it is the greatest hobby. I love finding "rare" coins in my change or roll hunting. I also stay because my grandfather used to collect (i never got to meet him though) and i want his collection taken care of (meaning i don't want to hide it away in the basement where it isn't appreciated).
    I feel like the hobby in the future will be smaller. Again we are moving toward a cashless society, and without cash the hobby will "die out". I really hope it doesn't happen though, this hobby is too fun! When i get older I will definitely do all I can to make sure the hobby stays alive!
    Thanks for reading my ramblings, and thanks for the contest!

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  16. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

When's the deadline?

17. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Its weird that not a lot of people are all over this contest. Usually its up the the second page all with entries by now.

18. Stephan77

Stephan77 Well-Known Member

I would enter but I'm not sure what numismatist is?

dwhiz likes this.
  19. Numismat

How about the deadline will be: one week from now, Sunday June 7th.

20. Numismat

Thanks for entering Ace, I hope we get at least a couple more :)

ace71499 likes this.
  21. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

tommyc03 and Numismat like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted