Consumer Alert - World Reserve Monetary Exchange Offer

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hobo, Nov 25, 2008.

1. shojo

shojo Member

Well, gee, I hope they don't all get bought up before I can order mine... :rolleyes:

I saw an ad like that here too (in Georgia). That gave me a bigger laugh than the comics did!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wesdavidson

wesdavidson Member

The safes looked like the ones from harbor freight, 14"x 14"x 23" with digital lock. cost about $130. Not fire safe, and barely burglar resistant. We bought one a couple years ago. First one we got. fairly good for the price. paid $89 on sale. built like a small version of the CANON gun safes. Use it now just to hold stuff we don't want the grandkids to maul. May add sheetrock to it and make it more fire safe.

Yes, we had the same add here, didn't notice the map. Probably just a way to limit daily sales to a reasonable amount.

I know folks that get taken by these types of schemes. Too bad they ask people to waste their money on things that won't be above water for 100 years. :headbang:

I haven't been to walmart in months, do they sell safes? wonder what they look like. have to visit. naw, don't have to.

Time to start a thread on safes....

4. SwendiCoin

SwendiCoin Junior Member

Everytime my wife sees an ad like this I have to worry about her placing an order when I'm not around. The same ad appeared here in Austin,TX a week or two ago and she was worried that we were going to miss out. I guess I was prepared because I've seen this same outfit use misleading ads before. At least, I assume it is the same outfit, although I think the name was "World Reserve Bank". One other ad I saw was for rolls of Silver Eagles being released by the US Mint. They made it sound like you needed to act NOW if you wanted a chance to get any. They had repackaged them into plastic tubes and added a huge premium to the cost.

5. wesdavidson

wesdavidson Member

I have seen "national reserve" as well as few other names. I have to stop my wife as well... and her mother? well,, I can usually talk them down..:desk:

Some of the big legit dealers tend to run prices a little high as well. But as my aunt told me "we are 120 miles from the nearest coin store, it costs more to go there than to pay the higher price".

6. Consumer

Consumer New Member

Yes, Warning!

If you should make the mistake of ordering the safe/coins. Even if you call back within an hour, or 8 hours, you cannot change or cancel your order! Suspicious!

7. i believe you americans have a saying for the problem, something like "there's one born every minute", i wonder how many will be taken in by these r....soles. unfortunately this sort of thing is everywhere in this day and age, we have a simular problem over here in australia, but ours involves "shares" ie. stocks etc. mike.:mad:

8. kscott1120

kscott1120 Junior Member

Oh God I hope your wrong. I bought it for $298. You sure its a scam because if so i will cancel my order. If anyone knows about this please post!! Thanks

John Burgess likes this.
  9. biggiej

biggiej Member

Amazingly I just happen to have that very paper in front of me, and to answer the magic question. If you default on the offer you will have to pay $460.00 for your armored safe. i don't know about you, but I would not trust my collection to a $460.00 armored safe. I would rather stash it inside my $947.00 sealy posture pedic mattress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hatch:

10. biggiej

biggiej Member

These safes are almost as good as the 3,294 Morgan Dollars that were just discovered and are being offered at a strict limit of 5 per caller for $19.95 and you have to be one of the first 200 callers because we can't do this all day!! sorry shamwow!!!:thumb::thumb:

11. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

The World Reserve Monitary Exchange's web site...

http://www.theworldreserve.com/

shows a biography of Thomas C. Harris (retired Bureau of Printing and Engraving Deputy Director). They don't state what his relationship is to the company. One would "assume" he's the company's President or CEO...but it doesn't seem to say. Any ideas?

12. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

LOL! ...plus, it's their safe and they know where you live! :eek:

13. kscott1120

kscott1120 Junior Member

I tried to cancel the order after reading several blogs which may have taken 20 minutes max. The rep tried telling me i couldn't. Which i found to be to be very strange since an hour had not passed since the purchase was made. So after some arguing I got tried of it and said fine Ill just call my credit card company and stop the order. She laughed and said u can try. So I laughed and said no problem *****. And i called my card and had the acct changed completely so its a new acct number. I think they are a complete scam and should be shut down

John Burgess likes this.
  14. loster

loster Junior Member

safe

:)
    Hello I just got my shipment of 267 coins at 43o pmthen at 7pm the safe arrived ! all that was charged to me was 298 $ ! so im giving positive feed back to montary reserve exchange !

15. swagge1

swagge1 Junior Member

I saw the full page ad in USA Today this morning. It was the one for the F2 safe and a bunch of Kennedy Halves, presidential dollars, 2 $2 bills, and 1 ASE for $298. I actually called and asked some questions then decided I wasn't interested.

16. BubbaRoll

BubbaRoll New Member

ballistic

I've heard ballistic used by the "younger" generation like as going crazy. For example, "I heard Joe went ballistic when he found out he fell for a scam!"
    I don't really know how that is used in reference to ballistic rolls of coins though. Informal or crazy rolls of coins? Informal rolls of coins sort of makes since meaning that it's something crazy? I'm just guessing, I don't know what they mean by this unless they do mean not your normal roll?

17. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

This subject has been discussed here before on Cointalk, and the conclusion remains the same. Do not buy!!! Go to Harbor Freight and buy the same thing for less money, and return it with no questions asked. It's the same imported tin can you can break into with a propane torch and minor hand tools.

18. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Did Al Capone buy his safe from these guys?

:)

19. PittsburghMom

PittsburghMom Active Member

My husband said that he keeps hearing these guys http://www.newyorkmint.com/ on the radio with ads inferring that they are an actual government Mint and just recently found a missing hoard of coins or some such thing. You'd think that there'd be some kind of agency out there to regulate this nonsense.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They are not a government mint and I will bet if you really listen to their ads they do not claim to be either. They are a DISTRIBUTOR for several government mints. I looked at their website and they claim to have handled the Redfield hoard and the Continental Illinois hoard. A-Mark/Paramount handled the Redfield hoard, and the Continental Ill[nois hoard was handled by Rarcoa/Silvertowne and Colonial Coins.

21. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

Your post is proof that their deceptive ads and company name are working. They do not claim to be a government agency, or the ads would have been pulled long ago. You are right though. This ad should clearly state its (lack of) affiliation with the U.S. government.

Draft saved Draft deleted