Consular Bust Probus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gsimonel, Nov 6, 2021.

1. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Coins of Probus with left-facing busts are fairly common. They often show Probus holding a shield and a spear over his right shoulder. Left-facing consular busts are less common. Here's an nice example from my collection:
    Probus2.jpg
    Probus
    A.D. 276-282
    AE (Billon) antininianus
    Siscia mint, A.D. 277
    RIC 632
    Obv: IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG
    Rev: ADVEN-TVS PROBI AVG - Probus on horseback, riding left, raising right hand and holding scepter in left, horse treading on bound captive. (Notice the filled die error on the reverse - no V in AVG)
    XXIB in exergue.

The ADVENTVS reverse types usually commemorate an emperor's triumphant visit to a city.

Show us your consular busts of Probus or other emperors, or any other unusual and interesting coins of Probus.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Great detail on the reverse too :happy:.

4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

5. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

One with Concordia reverse.
    image.jpg

6. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

How about a consular bust but with Victory on globe rather than the normal sceptre?

Obv:– IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG, Radiate bust left wearing imperial mantle, holding Victory on globe in right hand
    Rev:– VIRTVS AVG, Soldier standing left, holding Victory and spear, left hand on shield.
    Minted in Lugdunum (//IIII) Emission 5 Officina 4. End A.D. 277 to start A.D. 278 (Bastien)
    Reference(s) – Cohen 821. Bastien 258 (7 examples cited). RIC 111 var (Not listed with this bust type in RIC).

3.80 gms

[​IMG]

DonnaML, ambr0zie, Cucumbor and 7 others like this.
  7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

And what about another one from the same Siscia mint but bearing a quadriga ?

[​IMG]
    Probus, Antoninianus - Siscia mint
    IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, radiate bust of Probus left, wearing imperial mantle (bust type H)
    SOLI INVICTO, Sol in quadriga, XXIT at exergue
    3.77 gr
    Ref : Cohen #662, RCV # 12038 var, RIC 767

Q

8. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Not rare, but a bit more unusual than most - Victoria holding trophy. Not sure what the extra G in AVGG is for - who was co-ruler with Probus?
    Probus RIC Rome 215.JPG

9. wittwolf

wittwolf Well-Known Member

Here my best left facing Probus:
    Emperor Probus - SOLI INVICTO - Serdica mint
    Probus Sol.png

DonnaML, ambr0zie, Cucumbor and 5 others like this.
  10. maridvnvm

Rome mint

Obv:– IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, Radiate, bust left in imperial mantle, holding scepter surmounted by eagle
    Rev:– SOLI INVICTO, Sol in quadriga riding left, holding globe and whip
    Minted in Rome (R in exe) Emission 2. A.D. 277
    Reference(s) – RIC 204 Bust type H
    Weight 5.63 gms. Size 23.25 mm

[​IMG]

11. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Consular bust + consular legend

col4_html_m22b9d407.jpg

12. wittwolf

wittwolf Well-Known Member

Never seen this legend before. The variety of Probus coins is so incredible, I have to wonder if Probus himself did order and contribute to this huge coinage variety. Maybe he was a numismaticist himself? It feels a bit like the coinage of italien King Victor Emanuel III. who was a know coin collector too and issued a lot of beatiful coinage too with (for the 20th century) a big variety too.

ambr0zie and RupertP like this.
  13. maridvnvm

And these occur in the coded EQVITI series too. Here CONS III

[​IMG]
    The detail on the imperial mantle varies a lot too and can contain a lot of detail
    Laurel wreath in centre? Seems to be the most common from my unscientific count
    [​IMG]
    Concentric diamonds?
    [​IMG]
    Diamond with dots
    [​IMG]
    Quadrilateral with Star shape in centre
    [​IMG]
    Some a quite plain
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And sometimes they face the other way....
    [​IMG]

14. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

This is perhaps my favourite Probus in my collection. Not a consular bust, but a heroic bust
    Obv.: VI RTVS PROBI AVG
    Rev.: TEMPO R FELICI/I.
    Mint: Lugdunum,
    Date: late 277 to early 278.
    RIC 106. Bastien 212

Screenshot 2021-11-07 at 14.44.06.png

15. maridvnvm

I recognise that obverse die. Yours is nicer than mine....

[​IMG]
    same pose but also helmeted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Great coins!

I also have the helmeted heroic posture with shield and spear, but from Siscia

Screenshot 2021-11-07 at 15.13.51.png

And I have the helmeted heroic posture with spear and aegis, from Ticinum

Screenshot 2021-11-07 at 15.15.40.png

17. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

This is my favorite Probus
    upload_2021-11-7_16-27-50.png

Probus AD 276-282. Rome.Antoninianus Æ. 22 mm, 3,59 g
    RIC V Probus 187
    Date Range: AD 276 - AD 282
    Obverse Legend: PROBVS P F AVG
    Type: Bust of Probus, radiate, wearing imperial mantle, left, holding sceptre surmounted by eagle in right hand
    Reverse Legend: ROMAE AETER
    Type: Hexastyle temple, Roma seated in centre, holding Victory in right hand and sceptre in left hand
    MintMark: -/-//RVA

18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Who has the obverse with a horse head? Not I for sure! Obviously some busts are fancier than others. I always wondered if Probus actually owned all those changes of clothes or were they fruit of the imagination of the mint.
    I'd not seen CONS III but have CONS II.
    rs3070bb1501.jpg

Bing, Johndakerftw, DonnaML and 2 others like this.
  19. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

My two examples. (I can't tell from the photos what's in the center of the imperial mantles -- I'll have to get out the coins themselves):

Probus, silvered billon Antoninianus, 278-280 AD, Rome Mint [4th Emission, 2nd Officina]. Obv. Radiate bust left in imperial mantle, holding eagle-tipped scepter, IMP PRO-BVS AVG / Rev. Sol in quadriga leaping left, with right hand raised and holding globe and whip in left hand, SO-L-I INVIC-TO; in exergue, R- ᴗ [crescent]-B [Rome Mint, Officina 2]. RIC V-2 202B, Sear RCV III 12038, Cohen 644, see also https://www.probuscoins.fr/coin?id=11.

Probus - Soli Invicto - Quadriga Left - Rome - jpg version.jpg

Probus, 276-282 AD, silvered billon Antoninianus, Cyzicus Mint 280 AD. Obv. Radiate bust left wearing imperial mantle and holding eagle-tipped sceptre, IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG / Rev. Sol standing facing in spread quadriga, with right hand raised, holding globe and whip in left hand, the horses spread, two on l. and two on r., SOLI INVICTO. CM in lower center above XXI Q in exergue (Officina 4 - Quarto). RIC V-2 Cyzicus 911, Sear RCV III 12041 (ill), Cohen 682, Pink [Karl Pink 1949], p. 44, series 3. 23 mm., 4.1 g.

Image of Probus Soli Invicto split quadriga coin.jpg

Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted