Constantius' Reverse

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Sep 22, 2014.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Hi. The reverse of this Roman coin looks fully animated with fighters, arms and horse. The obverse represents possibly Emperor Constantius. Could you please help me better ID this coin? Thanks.. Charles Cst R.jpg Cst O.jpg

Eng, Bing and chrsmat71 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

7Calbrey likes this.
  4. 7Calbrey

Could you please DS tell me where this die crack starts from , and where it ends. Is it straight or circular and how long is it? If possible.
    Charles

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I see three lines I can not explain. One runs from the F of FEL to the E in the field. A second starts at the E of FEL, goes through the rider's head and curves o the E in field. The last seems to cut trough the rider's neck. Are all of these raised lines on the coin or just scratches? The larger line below these three that looks like a spear sticking in the rider's back really is a spear and not a die crack. I do not have this coin in the E series but you can compare these lines to this gamma series coin which has a small crack at the gamma base. These dies were used hard and not always replaced when they started to fail. Don't get the idea that you will get rich on this 'error'.
    rx6930b01575lg.jpg

Bing, 7Calbrey and stevex6 like this.
  6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hmmm, wow ...... Doug, that coin of yours certainly has a very soothing look to it (great coin) ... super eye-appeal

=> oh sorry, 7Calbrey (how rude of me) => I think that your cool and its very cool desert-patina is also very sweet (nice pick-up)

... man, I only have one fallen horseman example (congrats to you coin-fellas that have more than one example of this cool type)

Fallen Horseman.jpg

Bing likes this.
  7. 7Calbrey

Happy anyway. Hope some near day I could pick up a Roman coin with 7 angels.
    Charles

Draft saved Draft deleted