Constantius II, spearing a fallen horse rider

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Justin Lee, May 12, 2017.

1. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Hi all, just bought this coin and the edges are a little rough and was wondering about getting a little more info on it and it's value.

I believe the obverse is DN CONSTANTIVS PF AVG Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right (based on others in better condition to fill in the gaps)

And reverse appears FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Roman soldiers spearing a fallen horse rider (again, based on others in better condition to fill in the gaps)

The exergue seems to be "?AN?"

s-l1600.jpg

Any help with any more details? What is missing in the exergue? Where was it minted?

Thanks in advance!!

**I also have a few others that I wouldn't mind helping to get more info and values on (I will be trying to do a little bit of cleaning up on some and LOTS on that one).
    s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg

randygeki likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

The first coin is the common Constantius II bronze piece with the reverse legend FEL TEMP REPARATIO, meaning "The return of happy times". This piece is probably worth around $30, and the mint appears to be Antioch, Syria.

The second and third coins bear the reverse GLORIA EXCERCITVS, meaning "The glory of the army", whilst the obverse indicates that Constantius was caesar at the time of minting. Again, for the latter two coins you're probably looking at a value of $25 to $30. Hope this helps.

randygeki likes this.
  4. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

The fourth coin is from the Ptolemaic dynasty of Egypt, founded by Ptolemy I (a general of Alexander the Great) in 305 BC and lasting until the death of Cleopatra VII (the famous Cleopatra, lover of Marc Antony) in 30 BC. On the reverse I can make out the name Ptolemy, but that doesn't narrow it down much- every single king of this dynasty used the name Ptolemy, so attributing these coins to a specific ruler is difficult. Still a cool coin, no matter which Ptolemy.

Also, you might get more replies if you start posting over in the Ancients section. True, they do sometimes call us the Dark Side, but it's really friendly there, and there are lots of incredibly knowledgeable folks.

randygeki likes this.
  5. Justin Lee

Great! Thanks so much!

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

The first is Constantius II. ANH in ex. $10-$30. The symbol behind the head should be a delta, not a V with a dot, havent seen that before. Definitely odd/neat.

Justin Lee likes this.
  7. Justin Lee

Interesting, I hadn't noticed the V with a dot before.

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Now that I'm more awake I can see more clearly. It is just a delta, I was just seeing the right side of it with the tie making it look like a v.

9. Black Bart

Black Bart Member

Correct, that's a delta. Antioch, mint mark ANH, RIC 138.

10. Justin Lee

So the red is the delta and the blue is the tie, right? 20170513_214354.jpg

randygeki likes this.
  11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

12. Jimski

Jimski Well-Known Member

Using the site below, you should be able to ID almost every Roman Coin from 313-498. It is a marvelous site. It's easy to use. Ultimately, it will provide an excel file with every possible combination of legends, busts, mints, mint marks .. and more. Depending on how much of the legends and mint marks are readable the excel file will give you a RIC number for your coin (or range of numbers if key characters are illegible).
    http://www.tesorillo.com/aes/home.htm

Justin Lee likes this.
  13. Justin Lee

Amazing, thanks! What are RIC numbers?

14. Jimski

Jimski Well-Known Member

See 'What is a RIC' here
    http://www.catbikes.ch/coinstuff/ricinfo.htm#whatisric
    This site is by the guy that made all the excel files. Outstanding work. The 1st site will easily lead you to the correct excel file from this site.
    Do you know how to filter in excel? When you get to the correct excel file, download it to your computer. Then you can use the filter function in excel to eliminate those combinations which cannot be your coin. If all goes, you will get to 1 line with the particulars of your coin. For example the 1st coin with ?AN?, you should be able to see every possibility of ?AN?. Knowing all the possibilities, you might be able to figure out what that last letter can or cannot be.
    If you need help with excel. I'll help you.

Curtisimo and Justin Lee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted