Constantius II siliqua (is it a forgery?)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nap, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Siliquae always seem odd to me in comparison to other coins of the era, so I am a terrible judge. I don't like the looks of it, but there are so many being sold on quality venues I have a hard time disqualifying them. The short answer is, I dunno, but I don't think I would buy one of these.

Paul M. likes this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I don't have a subscription to acsearch, but a majority of the other ones didn't actually sell.

5. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Very suspicious.

They all look in the exact same state of preservation.

Could be a new hoard.

I would not buy one.

Paul M. likes this.
  6. Theodosius

Look how the outer border on the reverse is weak in the same sections on all of them.

Transfer die?

Paul M. and Alegandron like this.
  7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

My observation. Quick glance: Seems approx 5pm is a common spot. Just differing "damage/chipping" at that point...

Paul M. likes this.
  8. Theodosius

Exactly. Stacks example looks different from the others.

Alegandron likes this.
  9. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

I hate to question otherwise very reliable vendors. I happily make purchases from several of those sellers on a regular basis.

I suppose they could be a new hoard coming from war-torn Middle East, given that they were minted in Antioch, but I am concerned for forgery. The quality is good, and if it is a forgery it has fooled a number of top experts.

But I am also suspicious for fake dies (transfer) with this issue.

Paul M. likes this.
  10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

11. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Certainly not fake. Siliquae were not minted on the scale that denarii were so it's not uncommon to find die matches.

Paul M. likes this.
  12. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I have noticed the increase in frequency too, but I think it is just a hoard being disbursed. My bids have all been too low, but I did bid on some, which proves I think they were genuine.

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Several seem to have seen more of these lately. Are all you see of this design from these dies or are there other dies involved also? Looking at old sales before this recent bunch, how many dies do you find and how many from this set? The idea of a 'mint bag' hoard will explain the high grade and many die duplicates but it would seem wise for someone to research the relationship between these and previously known coins.

14. SIliquae

SIliquae Well-Known Member

The very different flanks of the nine specimens under consideration indicate rather antique coins.
    A summary of these RIC35 silicas.
    Above, 4 copies of different dies, the first two of the British museum.
    The dispersion of weights shows a different wear due to monetary cicrculation.
    Below, the 9 copies in question.
    The very low standard deviation indicates rather a contemporary hoarding.

RIC_35_Comparatif..jpg

Alegandron, Bing and Deacon Ray like this.
  15. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

The 3.24 gram look like two different photos of the same specimen ?

Draft saved Draft deleted