Constantius II Heavy Silver

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Inspector43, Dec 6, 2023.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

This is a new one I am working on. I think it is a:
    Constantius II. Antioch, Syria. 337-341 AD. CONSTAN-TIVS AVG, pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right / GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS, two soldiers holding spears and shields with one standard between them, bull's head (of Legio III?) on banner. Mintmark SMANBI. RIC VIII Antioch 49 var (emblem in standard instead of usual dot or o).

It has thick residue that I was tempted to remove. But, I think it may be just very heavy silvering. Should I stop cleaning at this point? Some feedback please.

I have included close up photos of the surface.

Constantius II Antioch 2.jpg Constantius II Antioch 2 Close Up.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kountryken

kountryken Well-Known Member

I'm not one of the "ones" that should answer this. So, I won't! But, I will say that it looks very good, so far, keep up the good work. And, maybe, "so far" is far enough? Like you, I am interested in what the "ones" (and I mean that with the utmost respect) have to say. In learning, too!

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. edteach

edteach Well-Known Member

I have cleaned a couple like this. I start off by soaking it in water and dish soap for a day or two. Then once that is done I use a tooth pick or similar to clean off as much as I can making small circle motions. This video is IMO a good video but you can look for others, they are Legion.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

@edteach Thanks for the video. Very informative. My question on the subject coin is what appears to be residual silver. If it is silver I don't want to risk removing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted