Constantius confusing me

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Exodus_gear, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Exodus_gear

Exodus_gear Well-Known Member

I'm having a bit of confusion with what appears to be a coin of Constantius. Normally on the Rev with two soldiers there are banners in between. On this one, I know it's not this, but it looks almost like corn stalks coming up and arching to the left. There doesn't appear to be a top to the banners, yet it doesn't seem like they were worn as other details in the same level are still apparent. The mint mark shows Dot SMHA Dot and I've scoured wildwinds site for it, to no avail. Could someone point me in the right direction?

20200306_000235.jpg 20200306_000327.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JulesUK

JulesUK Well-Known Member

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  4. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Your coin is of Constantine I, a.k.a. Constantine the Great. It was minted in Herclea in A.D. 330-333. The obverse inscription is CONSTANTI - NVS MAX AVG. The reference # is RIC 121. You've figured out the reverse - two soldiers with two standards between them. The coin has suffered some corrosion, which accounts for the plant-like shape of the standards. My guess is that the reason you don't see the tops of the standards is because something had clogged up the die at that spot when the coin was struck.

5. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

The Reverse of your coin shows a clear double strike resulting in the odd appearance.

JulesUK and ancient coin hunter like this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

It's the common "two soldiers with two standards" reverse. My guess is the die was clogged when it was struck.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    ancient coin hunter likes this.
  7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Corn stalks between soldiers? Was there popcorn in the age of Constantine? Seriously though I agree with the previous posters.

Draft saved Draft deleted