Constantine V AE Follis

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Sep 18, 2013.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

A tentative step into Byzantine waters...

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Constantine V/Leo IV/Leo III, 741-775
    AE Follis: 17.9mm, 2.09g; Syracuse Mint: 751-775

Obv.: Constantine V, bearded (on left) and Leo IV, beardless (on right) standing facing, each wearing crown and chlamys, and holding akakia; between their heads, cross; to left, K; to right, Λ / Є / W / N.

Rev.: Leo III, bearded, standing facing, wearing crown and chlamys, and holding cross potent; to left, Λ / Є / O / N; to right, Δ / Є / C / Π.

Reference: Sear 1569; Berk 864; Spahr 335; Anastasi 437; DO III 19

This is a tough coin to light for a good pic - seems like any combination of angles highlights certain details while hiding others. I've been comparing my coin to a couple on Wildwinds for the sake of learning the design...

[​IMG]

My example doesn't seem any better or worse than any I've found on the web. Apparently it's the kind of coin where you need a few choice pieces to illustrate all the devices.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

JA, i like the dark green patina, nice coin, nice pickup..;)

John Anthony likes this.
  4. John Anthony

Thanks - it's actually so dark it's almost black. I had to lighten it up to see anything in an image.

5. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Cool pickup and a coincidence too. I just got a Constantine V follis a couple of days ago:

[​IMG]

chrsmat71, vlaha, Windchild and 3 others like this.
  6. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Very nice VK...

7. John Anthony

I had a feeling that coin might pique your interest. I need to find a way to photograph my coin so that it looks like yours - that's much closer to the true color.

ValiantKnight likes this.
  8. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Wish those were my photos; they're the seller's. Not that mine are bad; they just take a good amount of effort for me to get it right (or at least really, really close, with the color, detail), but when I do....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chrsmat71, vlaha, Windchild and 2 others like this.
  9. John Anthony

Those are great pics, VK. They really capture the character of the coins.

If the dealer's pic of my Follis was any good, I wouldn't bother trying to retake it. I would be very satisfied with a pic like yours.

10. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Nice coins all!

Here are my best Byzantines, not very nice.

Any I.D.s? Best byzantine.jpg Best Byzantine rev.jpg

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice pick-up, JA => yah, I don't have any coins from that century, "yet" ...

Oh, and great coins too, Jango => that era is definitely your wheelhouse, eh?

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Middle period is an unusual place to start Byzantine because so many of the coins are crude and hard to read. Most of us start with the big M bronzes or the cup shaped coins and work into the Constantine V period later if ever. I never really got into them perhaps for that reason you mention. I can take several coins to see what there was to see.

13. John Anthony

It was an act of opportunism. I got the piece for $5.73 shipped...

eBay

14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

My example

[​IMG]
    CONSTANTINE V (741 - 775 A.D.)
    AE Follis
    O: Two half-length figures facing, Constantine V on left, bearded, Leo IV on right, beardless, each wearing chlamys and crown with cross, holding in right hand akakia. Between heads, cross. To left, ; To right, ///
    R: Half-length figure of Leo III facing, bearded, wearing chlamys and crown with cross, holding in right hand, cross potent on base. To left, ///; To right, ///
    Syracuse
    2.3g
    19mm
    S.1569

chrsmat71, vlaha, Bing and 3 others like this.
  15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

another one on my byzantine to get list.

Draft saved Draft deleted