Constantine the great

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Swervo513, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Swervo513

Swervo513 Well-Known Member

Hey

i am posting because I acquired this coin for a good price on eBay and know nearly nothing about other than who the emperor is and that it is from the Ticium mint. I purchased the coin for around 40 bucks with shipping and it is in very good condition. Could you all please provide any information you have on this coin including relative value, composition and date? It appears much darker in person and seems like bronze but cant be certain. I appreciate the help.

Thanks for looking
    larry
    image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Bronze AE 3
    RIC VII 127
    Ticinum mint, 319 - 320 A.D.;
    obverse: CONSTANTINVS AVG, helmeted and cuirassed bust right;
    reverse: VIRTVS EXERCIT, standard inscribed VOT / XX, two barbarian captives at sides, PT in exergue

4. Swervo513

Nice. What is your source if you don't mind me asking.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Online guides :)

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

7. Swervo513

8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Always be careful with online guides and try to cross check them. A danger is repeating bad information. Some of these sites simply repeat what the seller labeled a coin as, and THAT attribution could have been wrong.

As for the Contantine, its a more interesting obverse with the helmet, and a little more interesting reverse than typically seen. Personally I think $40 is high for a Constantine bronze unless its truly a rarer issue or an AE2 or 1. What size is it? Is it an AE1, 2, or 3?

9. Swervo513

Well from what mat said its an ae3 I'm not sure what the designation means but its about 18mm. Thanks for the advice. That's why I always post here to get the right info

10. medoraman

AE 1, 2, 3 or 4 is simply the term for the size of the coin. No denominations are on the coins, we don't not know what they were called, so we simply label them based on sizes. The AE 3 and 4 are the smaller sizes and most common of these coins. An AE1 or 2 usually commands a premium, so it pays to know what it is or its size before bidding. I might have paid $40 for that coin if it were an AE1 or 2, but not a 3 or 4 unless its a rare issue.

Btw, no offense ever intended in my posts sir. I know I am cheap and quick to point out defects, but its only done to try to educate you, never to criticize. I hope you take it that way.

Chris

11. Swervo513

That is why I appreciate your posts sir. I never take it as bad criticism unless its intended as so. It's pretty easy to tell when someone intends to make a fool out of you or if they are just trying to educate you. I prefer the latter. :) I did not know that about the sizes so once again your post has been useful to me. Thanks.

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

is it only me, or does anyone esle thinks that it looks funky?

13. Swervo513

In what way? Counterfeit? Or just different?

14. medoraman

Looks perfectly ok to me. It will look different than a lot of other Romans due to the "war helmet" he is wearing. That makes the coin look a lot different than most Romans.

I am pretty darn sure I own a coin just like this, (type at least).

15. Swervo513

Yea the helmet is what made me go for it. It might be the lighting that makes it look brighter because in person it's blackened

16. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

I think you got a good price at $40. It's well struck and well centered. Nice coin.

17. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Thats a nice looking ancient. Looks very well preserved.

And Randy, thanks for those links. I'm going to be on those sites for the next few days.

18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Those are just a few of the links members have posted here, so I can't take any credit.

19. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

It's probably just the picture, but it looks a bit overcleaned IMO.
    Otherwise a nice coins, most certainly genuine and in good shape
    $40 is not cheap, as stated above, for such a coin, but it's still OK, and what is 40 bucks for a two thousand years old item ?

Q

Draft saved Draft deleted