Constantine the Great Nummus from Roma Numismatics

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

I recently added the coin pictured below from Roma E-Sale 75. After searching a long time for an example from the London Mint I stumbled on this coin :D. I overpaid for the coin :shame:, but knowing it came from the collection of the renown numismatist-author Italo Vecchi tipped me over the edge :rolleyes:.

Constantine I, nummus, Ex Italo Vecchi col..jpg Constantine I, AD 307-337 (struck AD 307-310), London Mint, AE Nummus: 28 mm, 6.57 gm, 8 h. Obverse: Constantine laureate & cuirassed, facing right, IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG. Reverse: Genius facing left, holding cornucopia & patera, GENIO POP ROM, in exergue PLN. Ex Italo Vecchi Collection. RIC 103, Cloke & Toone 5.04.003

dlhill132, seth77, galba68 and 24 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Restitutor

Restitutor Well-Known Member

Quite the beauty! Genius is flexing on us all with those abs :hilarious:
    And given how the coin market is right now perhaps it’s not so much overpaying, just that everything is much more expensive! :)

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice!

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

What a great example. And generous flan.

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

How do you separate a coin from the Italo Vecchi collection from the many coins he sold as a dealer? Did it come with a special style ticket? It is a lovely coin in any event.

7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coin, well struck on a larger than normal flan with very clear devices.

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

A coin worth overpaying for. I like it very much.

Orfew likes this.
  9. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Yep, I would have paid too much for it as well. A superb coin.

10. Hamilcar Barca

Hamilcar Barca Well-Known Member

Lately I feel I am overbidding on most of these auctions and my success rate has fallen significantly. I am still happy to get the ones I feel I might have overpaid to get.

Watching the Leu auction as I write this. Very active bidding with strong prices. The ones I am interested in happen tomorrow. I have to get up before 5 AM.

11. Hermann Watzlawik

Hermann Watzlawik Well-Known Member

indeed a very nice coin!!!

12. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

That's a good question o_O. The only person who can answer that is Richard Beale, who took the consignment. The coin was listed under the Roma description as "From the collection of Italo Vecchi". Beale's word is good enough for me ;).

Draft saved Draft deleted