Constantine the Great - Lugdunum - Mars

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, Feb 28, 2015.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

From the time of the Tetrarchy onwards there was a steady rise in the prices of goods combined as a result in a decline in the size of the follis. My new purchase is from an issue (F - T // PLC) at Lugdunum that just precedes a dramatic drop in size of the follis. This issue is made up of MARTI CONSERVATORI, PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS, and SOLI INVICTO COMITI (with variants of Sol with globe and Sol with whip).

I have a number of the Sol coins and their varieties but had never bought myself a Mars type until now. I have an egotistical liking for Mars types.

Constantine the Great - AE Folis
    Obv:– IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right (seen from rear)
    Rev:- MARTI CO-NSERVATORI, Mars helmeted, in military dress, cloak hanging over right shoulder, standing, right, holding reversed spear, left hand leaning on shield
    Minted in Lugdunum (F | T / PLC). Sping A.D. 310-311
    Reference:– Bastien XI 531 (34 examples of which 29 with this reverse legend break). RIC VI Lugdunum 304 (C)

24.30 mm. 3.98 gms. 45 degrees.

A nice full example with lots of fine detail on both sides. Some minor corrosion on the bust but a very pleasing execution of Mars.

[​IMG]

Martin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Love the reverse. Very nice indeed.

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

A beautiful coin, Martin. My coin of similar type comes from Londinium. I've wondered whether this reverse pose on the PRINCIPIA IVVENTVTIS types is meant to represent the emperor in the guise of Mars...

Constantine II
    AE Reduced follis, 18mm, 3.1g, London mint: 318 AD.
    Obv.: FL CL CONSTANTINVS IVN NC; Bust laureate, draped cuirassed, seen from back.
    Rev.: PRINCIPIA I-VVENTVTIS; Prince in military dress, standing right, cloak spread, leaning on reversed vertical spear, hand resting on shield; crescent // PLN.
    Reference: cf. RIC VII London 136. R4

constantineIIpi.jpg

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow Martin => that's a very rugged looking coin, my friend (great eye-appeal) ... I love the purplish hue (very cool addition)

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I don't have a match but will show two other Mars types. The Trier coin is AE1 with Marti Patri Propugnatori.
    rx4595bb3191.jpg

My Conservatori is Ticinum with somewhat different style. I like this type for the depiction of the handles on the back of the shield. Martin's Lugdunum is exceptionally clear on this.
    rx4735bb3036.jpg

Gil-galad, chrsmat71, Orfew and 5 others like this.
  7. maridvnvm

My obsession continues. This time from a slightly later, reduced size issue. Another nicely detailed example.

Constantine the Great , AE3
    Obv:– IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right (seen from rear)
    Rev:- MARTI CON-SERVATORI, Mars helmeted, in military dress, cloak hanging over right shoulder, standing, right, holding reversed spear, left hand leaning on shield
    Minted in Lugdunum (T | F / PLC). A.D. 315
    Reference:– Bastien XI 570 (30 examples cited). RIC VII Lugdunum 10 (R2)

20.19mm. 3.41 gms. 180 degrees

[​IMG]

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Do you have a link to an image of the type spear shown in another medium (not on a coin)?

9. maridvnvm

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I don't see the same rounded shape. I see an animal.

stevex6 likes this.
  11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I agree => I see an awesome lion!!

Draft saved Draft deleted