Constantine ready for battle (or if the helmet fits, wear it)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I received this really nice coin of Constantine yesterday..
    (purchased from @Valentinian 's great site: http://augustuscoins.com ).

I have a few coins of Constantine but was looking for a slightly more interesting example for my collection and this one ticked all of the boxes. Really great depiction of Constantine with shield, spear and an awesomely impressive helmet!

I know the coins are common but I do not think that takes away from the excellent design - I also really like the "raptor arm" :).. holding the spear. This is featured on many coins of the time (Licinius, etc) and defines the era for me artistically.

ConstantineMERGE.jpg
    Struck A.D. 319
    19mm
    IMP CONSTAN-TINVS AVG -- high crested helmet, cuir., spear across r. shoulder, shield on left arm
    VICT• LAETAE PRINC PERP -- two Victories stg., facing one another, together holding shield inscribed VOT PR on altar inscribed with I
    In ex. •ASIS•
    RIC VII Siscia 82 r5

Victor Clark has an excellent article on this type on his site here:
    http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/sis/

He notes the translation of the reverse legend as:
    VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP = "Joyous (well-earned) victory to the eternal Prince" and VOT PR engraved on the shield is VOTA POPVLI ROMANI "vows of the Roman people"

I also found this very interesting - quoting Victor Clark:
    "RIC VII describes the reverse of these coins as two victories holding a shield. It is actually a wreath though. This reverse is just like the type issued a few years later by Magnentius, which RIC VIII correctly describes as two victories holding a wreath. My descriptions call it a shield, following RIC VII, but it is a wreath, which is evidenced by the wreath ties easily visible on the top of most examples. If you look closely on a clear example, you will see that only one victory is holding the wreath. The other victory is actually inscribing the wreath. You can see the stylus in the hand of victory on some examples. The reverse description should be something like this: two Victories standing, facing one another, one inscribing wreath with VOT PR, while the other Victory holds the wreath above an altar."

Please share any coins you deem relevant (would love to see some nice helmets and bring on the raptor arms!!!:woot:)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    dlhill132, Oldhoopster, TJC and 26 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

That's a fine example. I have one of these struck at London I'm selling at auction right now:
    Constantine I 23.jpg
    "CONSTANTINE I
    AE3 Follis
    OBVERSE: IMP CONSTANTINVS AVG, helmeted, cuirassed bust left, spear over far shoulder
    REVERSE: VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP, two Victories standing facing holding shield inscribed VOT/PR on altar decorated with diamond (Helv. 2a), PLN in ex.
    Struck at London 319-20 AD
    2.8g, 20mm
    RIC VII 159"

dlhill132, TJC, arizonarobin and 15 others like this.
  4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Very nice, I love those weird combat helmet types.

Clavdivs likes this.
  5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Very nice example! Your reverse really illustrates Victor's comment about the Victory on the left inscribing the wreath with a stylus. Cool!

Here's my VLPP with a different helmet. I bought it for the minion-style portrait. :)
    Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 9.19.26 PM.jpg

6. Clavdivs

Super cool coin! Really tight looking helmet and a big eye!!

Severus Alexander likes this.
  7. Clavdivs

Same mint but a less intimidating Constantine:

ConstantineMERGE.jpg

Obv: CONSTANTINVS AVG, laureate head right.
    Rev: D N CONSTANTINI MAX AVG, VOT XX within wreath
    Mintmark: Epsilon SIS sunburst RIC VII Siscia, 180.

dlhill132, TJC, arizonarobin and 7 others like this.
  8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Fantastic coin!

9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Very nice!

I’ve always thought of Maximianus as a T-Rex rather than a raptor, but here he is anyway, holding up what appears to be a spare rib in that tiny tiny hand.

DCE7526C-B223-46AF-B834-7567CB9E5084.jpeg

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

This style of Constantine bust always reminds me of a little kid wearing a propeller beanie and playing "soldier". Perhaps back in the day this style of attire was fearsome but these portraits make me giggle :D.

CT-Clavdivs-ConstantiePropellerBeanie.jpg

Theodosius, Kasia, dlhill132 and 19 others like this.
  11. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

This series is interesting because of the wide variety of obverse portraits. Here's another obverse type, with Constantine facing right wearing a high-crested helmet:
    [​IMG]
    Lugdunum (Lyons) mint, A.D. 320
    RIC 79 (var.)*
    Obv: CON-STANTINVS AVG
    Rev: VICTORIAE LAET PRINC PERP - Two Victories holding shield inscribed VOT/PR above altar
    P[2 captives]L in exergue
    19 mm, 3.2 g.
    *Unrecorded obverse inscription break

TJC, arizonarobin, chrsmat71 and 12 others like this.
  12. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Familiarity breeds contempt. Because coins like these are so common, sometimes they get met with a simple shrug. I’m glad someone else appreciates how interesting some of these designs are regardless of their rarity or lack thereof. That is indeed a nice example, and Valentinian has lots of interesting coins at quite reasonable prices.

Attached is a coin that’s in pretty bad shape, but its reverse type is somewhat scarce, and it’s got a cool decorated helmet. Actually, this particular combination of features renders it not in RIC. 7D20F93D-B9B9-4B68-97DE-F56B3335C7AD.png

13. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Here is another late Constantine I, AE3, 2.98 gm, with helmet to add to the group.

1884238-013 obv. 2.jpg 1884238-013 rev. 2.jpg

TJC, arizonarobin, chrsmat71 and 10 others like this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Who remembers this one and the endless discussions about it?
    https://www.beastcoins.com/Topical/VLPP/VLPP.htm

Theodosius, TJC, arizonarobin and 4 others like this.
  15. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Here's my interesting helmeted Constantine - with a long tailing crest and two captives between standard on the reverse. Uncleaned hoard coin so sorry about the condition (and the medicore photo-this was just when I was getting started taking pictures of my coins.)

constantine1.jpg
    constantine2.jpg

16. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

The reverse reminds me of a couple of guys at a bar.

17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

We see where your mind is!

18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Coins from these times always seem goofy or cartoonish to me...

upload_2019-3-9_12-17-27.jpeg
    RI Constantine I AVG Follis Votive XX seated captives 2.69g 18mm RIC VII 191 London

19. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

That's a better example than mine @Alegandron - London to boot. I've been looking at wildwinds this morning and I believe my coin to be of Ticinium. In fact, I didn't see an example of your coin under London in RIC (at least as far as wildwinds goes) but we all know they don't portray every coin in RIC. Still, I'm thinking your coin might be a relatively rare type for London.

TJC and Alegandron like this.
  20. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

@Alegandron's is Cloke & Toone type 9.02.001, marked by them as C for common. (Left facing is RR.) This is probably the best source for estimating rarity for the London mint. If you tag or pm me, I'd be happy to look any up for you! (Though I highly recommend buying the book if you're into the London mint in particular.)

arizonarobin and Alegandron like this.
  21. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you. Because I enjoy non-mainstream tastes, I seem to be attracted to the oddball niches in coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted