Constantine III

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bill Jackson, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Bill Jackson

Bill Jackson New Member

Hello All:

This is my first post. I saw an earlier thread on Constantine III here and thought that you guys might be able to help me out.

Back in the early 1970's I had a summer job in Downtown Chicago. There was a coin store on Clark St. just south of Washington St. and on payday I used to go over and buy some coins. So far each one that I have sent out for grading at PCGS has come back aces. There is one however that I can't seem to find out anything about.

It is a Constantine III bronze or copper coin. I am attaching a picture of both sides.

Any help that you can be helping to identify it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

That's because it's a Constantine I coin!

SOLI INVICTO COMITI from Rome.

Nice coin, welcome!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  4. Orange Julius

The mint mark is RT.

If you do spreadsheets, this page is extremely helpful. Go to the link for SOLI INVICTO COMITI coins and filter for your coin's attributes.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dane/

When I filtered the file for your coin, I came up with:

Constantine I
    OB: IMP CONSTANTINVS PF AVG
    LDC Bust
    R: SOLI INV-I-CTO COMITI
    Mint mark: RT
    Reverse Right: R over X
    Reverse Left: F
    Rome
    RIC VII Rome 27
    C3
    314-315 AD
    Note: The R in the mintmark and fieldmark resembles an A

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  5. Bill Jackson

Bill Jackson New Member

Thanks for the quick replies!

Would it be worth getting graded? I've read that most Roman coins are not unless they are something special.

6. Orange Julius

No, it wouldn't be worth it. This coin's worth is in the awe-factor of holding a 1700 year old piece of history. These are very common and in the condition yours is in, maybe worth $10-$15 dollars. ...but to someone with an interest in ancient history though, priceless. :)

Roman Collector likes this.
  7. Bill Jackson

Bill Jackson New Member

Thanks.

You hit it right on the head. That is why I bought it to begin with.

I would still like to frame it in one of these PCGS type holders. Any suggestions on how to get that done?

8. Orange Julius

They do sell those that can be snapped together and re-opened. I have not bought them but I’ve seen other posters talk about them. I’m sure someone will chime in soon!

9. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Once you put it in a plastic case you will no longer be able be able to hold it in your hand and think "I'm touching something that was originally held by someone in ancient Rome."

The purpose of a plastic case is to protect a pristine coin from getting damaged from handling. Just the oils from your hand or contact from another coin is enough to lower the grade of an MS67 silver or gold piece. Your coin has already survived decades of daily handling and 1,700 years of being buried in the ground. Simple handling is unlike to do it any further damage.

My advice is to keep it as is. Hold it in your bare hands and try to imagine all it has experienced and been used for.

Andres2 likes this.
  10. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coin and a good pick up many years ago. As posted above these usually go for $10-$20 bucks apiece. I'd keep it as you are holding a bit of history in your hands.

11. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Over 10$ only if rare variety.

12. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Constantine III was a usurper/quasi-recognized emperor who ruled for a couple years early in the 5th century, long after Sol had vanished from Roman coinage.

As stated, a very common coin with awesome historical value, but ultimately worth less than a Big Mac meal. I wouldn't go fancier than a 2x2 to store it, personally.

13. Bill Jackson

Bill Jackson New Member

Thanks for all the advice. I think that I will keep it just the way that it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted