Constantine II trio on the cheap

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, May 3, 2015.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Last week I posted my new Constantine II that was anything but common and cheap. Today I'll show three coins similar but different. Two of them were $10 each and the third was $12 (I see little justification for that difference but I agree that all should be cheap). Some people would say it would be better to buy one coin at $32 but I already have quite a few of Constantine II and did not buy these for their grade or anything beyond what I mention below. The seller had others in the general bracket but these were the ones I liked.

We will start with one from London.
    0bb3258.jpg
    I understand there is an appeal in England for Roman coins made there but I live a ocean away and mainly liked this one because it had good eye appeal and smooth surfaces with a few lumps of distraction the worst being some green on the nose. Young Constantine seems to have had trouble with allergies like so many of us this time of year.

Second is one from Lugdunum:
    0bb3259.jpg
    This was the expensive $12 one and I do not like the rough surfaces one little bit. I do like the dative obverse legend (CONSTANTINO), the small portrait and the mintwark including two seated captives separating the PL. Some might like it for being an R5 (RIC 90 page 128) but we all know that is meaningless. I wasted a lot of money at that show more seriously than the $12 on this one. Is it $2 better than the London? Maybe??? Do I wish it had the surfaces of the London? Yup!

Last is my favorite of the three (also $10):
    rx5878bb3260.jpg
    Heraclea is not my favorite mint and this is a pretty average Jupiter reverse coin in many respects but I like it for political reasons. Licinius attempted a currency reform in areas under his control reducing the value of the AE3 coin from 25 to 12 1/2 denarii of account. This was marked on the back by the XIIs in the right field. These coins are common for Licinius II (RIC says scarce but I see too many of them) but less often seen for Constantine's young son (RIC only says R1 but I did not have this one). It is a well made coin with less than perfect but not ugly surfaces. It is, as they say, 'better in hand'. I may have to shoot it again but I still have new coins yet untried today. My wife flies back from Switzerland tomorrow and I will be doing vacation pictures for the rest of the week/month so this will do for now.

This post invites Constantine II, XIIs coins, dative legend obverses and London issues. We already have a perfectly good thread on $10 coins but I did not want to steal that one si started this anew. Pile on at will.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

Last one has nice bust, thats mine favorite to

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great stuff, Doug. My only Constantine II:

[​IMG]
    Constantine II (337 - 340 A.D.)
    Æ3
    O: CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C, laureate and cuirassed bust right.
    R: VOT• V• / MVLT•X• / CAESS / TSB within wreath.
    Thessalonica (Salonika, Greece) mint, 318 - 319 A.D.
    18mm
    3.1g
    RIC VII 45

dlhill132, Mikey Zee, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  5. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

I like the roughness of the second one, nice lot all round Doug.

6. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Definitely nice coins for the price. Online, they may have costed twice as much.

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Rare Coins Of The Constantines In Less Than Desirable Grades? I know the words to that tune.

Not in RIC

Constantine I
    AE Follis, 18mm, 2.8g; Lugdunum mint: 316
    Obv.: IMP CONSTANTINVS AVG; laureate, cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: SOLI INVIC-TO COMITI; Sol standing right, looking left, chalmys spread, holding globe / A / S // PLG
    Reference: Not in RIC, compare to VII 62 with different obverse legend.

RIC62var.jpg

Struck for only a few months, only at the Rome mint.

Constans
    AE15; Rome Mint: 337.
    Obv.: DN FL CONSTANS AVG; Diademed head right.
    Rev.: SECVRITAS REI P; Securitas stg. facing, legs crossed and with head turned r., holding scepter in r. hand, l. elbow leaning on a column // R leaf Q.
    Reference: RIC VIII, Rome 16 (p. 250).

constans sec.jpg

Urbs Roma Soldiers Standard mule

VRBS ROMA Commemorative
    AE3, 1.7g, 16.8mm; Heraclea: AD 336-7
    Obv.:VRBS ROMA; Roma left.
    Rev.: GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS; Two soldiers with one standard between // SMH(epsilon).
    Reference: RIC VII Heraclea 156

VRBSstandard.jpg

Urbs Roma Vota mule...

Rome City Commemorative, 347-348
    AE4, 13mm, 1.8g, Heraclea mint: 347-348
    Obv.: VRBS ROMA; Helmeted and mantled bust of Roma left, with sceptre over right shoulder.
    Rev.: VOT / XX / MVLT / XXX, all within wreath // SMH?
    Reference: RIC VIII, Heraclea 56

VRBSvot1000.jpg

An R3 officina for the Siscia follis of Constantine, and another Rome-only issue of short duration for Constantine II...

commonrare.jpg

8. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

constantine-2-london.jpg

Constantine II AE3. 337-340 AD, Londinium mint.

OBV: CONSTANTI-NVS IVN N C, Radiate, draped, cuirassed bust left.

REV: BEATA TRANQUILLITAS, Globe on altar inscribed VOT-IS-XX; P-A across fields, three stars above. Mintmark PLON.

REF: RIC VII Londinium 216

9. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Constantine II - AE3

Obv:– CONSTANTINVS IVN N C, Laureate, cuirassed bust left wearing trabea, holding Victoriola in right hand
    Rev:– BEATA TRANQLITAS, Altar inscribed VOT/IS/XX, surmounted by globe with plain vertical lines and diagonals between horizontal lines, three stars above
    Minted in London (//PLON).
    Reference:– RIC VII London - (Not listed with this bust type from London).

Leetoone proposes in his paper on the London mint in Numismatic Circular that all busts of this type with the Victoriola are poorly interpreted versions of the type with Victoriola and Mappa as in RIC VII London 288

[​IMG]

dlhill132, randygeki, stevex6 and 5 others like this.
  10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice bargain bin snags...the last is my favorite as well!

here's a "12" of licinius ii...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here's a constantine ii campgate...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I would buy any of them for the prices you paid. Not sure which I like best, so I'll just take all three.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  12. Severatus

Severatus Active Member

Buying common examples in common condition means owning a lot of common examples in common condition........abstaining from such things helps regulate an individuals mind by avoiding an excess of dopamine pleasure response keeping the thought process clear for substantial activities where clear thinking will allow for a greater gain by the expenditure of said monies.

13. Bing

download (1).jpg

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I agree with Bing.

15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Just guessing...
    If you stop getting your kicks buying cheap, common crap, after awhile you'll realise there's decent stuff you're better off blowing your wad on?

16. kevin gif.gif

stevex6 likes this.
  17. Bing

I think I got that Z. Just wondering why.

18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I like turtles

chrsmat71, Mikey Zee, Bing and 2 others like this.
  19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

One of us sees a coin as cheap, common while another of us sees it as the one we have been looking for for years. With some regularity here one of us will show a 'special' coin of someone like Constantine and be told by someone that Constantine is common. If we believe all coins of one ruler (or even all coins not of a 12 Caesar) are the same, it is hard to argue with that.

20. Bing

I dunno. It seems we all collect what fits our collection strategy/budgets. Of course I love to look at coins like the ones Ancient Joe posts, but I would literally be sick (physically) if I spent hundreds or thousands on a coin. No matter how many common coins I may have passed on in order to afford the more expensive coin, I just couldn't make myself do it. I have a collection full of common examples that most people would not want. But I am happy with it and really that is all that matters, isn't it?

21. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I am definitely happy with my collection as well. Even though I have some of the most low grade and cheapest coins amongst us here.

Doug, sometimes I think you may misunderstand how we collect and what we want. Which is quite similar to how you collect because we have learned a lot from you and your website. But at the same time, we all have our own goals. You seem to disapprove of collecting in sets and I don't blame you there but collecting that way also has it's own appeal to many. Especially for beginners like I once was. If I had not done it that way, I would not be here today. While I'm far away from being an expert. I am quite satisfied knowing about how much I learned and all the coins that I carefully picked to keep my expenditures low. Of course you get higher grade coins for low prices too because you know how to do it. I'm still learning.

But then, I also sometimes freelance purchase for the coins that I want that are outside of any sets that I am working towards. For coins that I want and ones that speak to me.

Mikey Zee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted