Constantine I

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by randygeki, Sep 30, 2011.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Just picked up this today :) It was down to this or an As of Claudius, but the As would have been a downgrade and I had to slap myself not to get it. :mad:

Constantine I AE Follis. Struck circa 309-310 AD. Lugdunum mint. IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from the back / SOLI INVIC-TO COMITI, Sol standing facing, head left, chlamys hanging behind from left shoulder, holding globe and raising right hand. F-T across fields, mintmark PLG.
    Lyons
    RIC VI 310

Attached Files:

• 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      96.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Lol a emperor I still cant find the "it" coin to add to my collection. Nice pickup though!

4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My favorite 'it' would be one of the early coins while they were still making AE1 size.

rx4550bb1667.jpg

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I think I am going try try and go for a better photo on this one. I was trying to use sunlight

I'd like to get an AE1 of Constantine. Largest I have (below) is 21mm. One of my favorite portraits.

Attached Files:

7. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

There are some variations on this very nice looking Lugdunum coin that are possibly worth keeping your eyes open for.

Walking left instead of standing but with whip instead of globe:-

normal_RI_160dw_img.jpg

A little scarcer than the usual globe type but they do turn up.

Regards,
    Martin

8. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice coins of Constantine the Great !

Q

9. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

This is probably the nicest Constantine the Great that I ever owned. No longer however... :( due to personal circumstances causing the downsize of my collection some time back after my job was downsized.

RI_160dk_img.jpg

Martin

10. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

Very nice looking coins.. :)

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I would have purchased that, very nice.

12. Cucumbor

Martin, that Lyon follis is outstanding !!

Q

13. Cucumbor

Although they aren't from lugdunum, I do have some big sized folles from Constantine the Great. Both Trier mint, one as Caesar, one as Augustus :

0640-310.jpg
    Constantine the Great as Ceasar, Follis
    Follis struck in Trier, 1st officina, in 306-307 AD
    FL VAL CONSTANTINVS NOB C, Laureate and draped bust of Constantine right
    GENIO POPVLI ROMANI, Genius standing left holding patera and cornucopia. S A in field, PTR at exergue
    9.21 gr, 29 mm
    Ref : RC #3833, Cohen #218

0640-320.jpg
    Constantine the Great, Follis
    Follis struck in Trier, 1st officina
    IMP CONSTANTINVS PF AVG, Laureate and cuirassed bust of Constantine right
    MARTI PATRI PROPVGNATORI, Mars walking right, holding spear and shield. S A in field, PTR at exergue
    7.40 gr, 26 mm
    Ref : RC #3864, Cohen #368

Enjoy
    Q

14. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

Beautiful coins

15. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great coins all. Its good to see so many; it seems many collectors loose inetrest in Constantine over time. Heres a couple more, and please continue to share some :)

Constantine AE3 Follis. 312-313 AD. IMP C CONSTANTINVS P F AVG, laureate cuirassed bust right / SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI, legionary eagle between two vexilla, the left surmounted by a hand, the right by a wreath, MOSTP in ex. Ostia RIC VI 94

Constantine I AE reduced Follis. 317-320 AD. Near full silvering on obv.
    IMP CONSTANTINVS AVG, laureate, draped bust left, holding mappa in left hand, globe and sceptre in right / IOVI CONSERVATORI AVGG, Jupiter standing left, chlamys across left shoulder, holding Victory on globe and leaning on eagle-tipped sceptre, palm to left, Z to right, SMN in ex. Nicomedia
    RIC VII 23

Attached Files:

16. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

One of my six or seven ancient coins........

I think I've actually got a coin with Constantine depicted on it :)

I've got a similar piece with Constantinus. Anyone want to see the Constantinus coin?

Attached Files:

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Constantinus is Latin for Constantine. The other easily confused one is Constantius (missing one N). Yous is a very nice Antioch mint (1st workshop) example. Please show the other.

18. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

The name on this coin looks like "Constantius"

Attached Files:

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is Constantius II. By the time they started making the two victories both Constantinus I and Constantinus II were dead so the choices are Constantius II and Constans. The coins that can get confusing are the two soldiers, one standard type of your other coins since everybody issued the type. The new one here is Siscia mint shop 5. While not as nice as your other, this type is harder to find nice so I'd not be ashamed of this one by any means.

20. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I just bought one like your second one here Randy. I bought it because, (besides being bored), it looks so unusual. Here are the Ebay pics:

constantine.jpg constatinerev.jpg

21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

thats a neat looking one too.

Draft saved Draft deleted