Constantine I Beata Tranquillitas

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by old49er, Oct 27, 2017.

1. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Hi again everyone. I have this coin coming from the U.K.. I really like the looks and the detailed craftsmanship of the portrait and the Altar. I was curious if anyone can elaborate a little on the meaning of the Legend and Altar and what it signifies? I tried researching it but came up empty. Also can you tell me what's going on with the reverse in the field area? Thanks for any feedback. Please post any you have, I would love to see them. Constantine AE follis. Trier mint . struck 322-323 AD. Obv CONSTANTINVS AVG, helmeted, cuirassed bust right . Rev BEATA TRANQVILLITAS, Altar inscribed VO-TIS-XX, surmounted by globe, three stars above. Mintmark dot STR dot. Ref RIC 368 ; Sear 16177 ric368obv.jpg ric368rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

"Blessed or Happy Tranquility" is the meaning in Latin. It has to do with the emperor's genius, I suppose. I don't have an example of this type yet, but it's a very nice coin you are going to receive.

Alegandron, old49er and GerardV like this.
  4. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

from my page- http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/barb/

Circa 321, BEATA TRANQVILLITAS [Blessed Peace (calm)] type was issued. The reverse does mean blessed peace(calm), but it does not mean the Empire was at peace. The Rhine frontier was in turmoil. Rather than actual peace, these coins seem to be "an expression of the expectation of peace and order on the Rhine frontier." (RIC VII p 38) This series was issued around the same time as Constantine's war with the Sarmatians.

5. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

nice detail in helmet

old49er likes this.
  6. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

here is an example I saw a few weeks ago with a studded helmet

Constantine studded helmet.jpg

Edessa, gogili1977, TheRed and 10 others like this.
  7. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

One from the Bag o Romans:

Legend: CONSTANTINVS IVN NC - Constantine JR
    Reverse: BEATA TRANQVILLITAS Celestial Globe on altar
    Mint: Lugdunum (Lyons, France)

IMG_0123.JPG

Edessa, gogili1977, randygeki and 9 others like this.
  8. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Great coins everyone. I think I have that reverse, but for Constantine II minted during Constantine I's reign.

Constantine II VOTIS XX Altar London Mint (1).jpg

Edessa, gogili1977, TheRed and 9 others like this.
  9. old49er

Great coins all, Thank you for the interesting information about this coin too! :)

10. old49er

Have this coin in hand. I am very happy with it. Looks better in hand than the sellers photos.:) constantine 003.JPG constantine 004.JPG

Edessa, gogili1977, Bing and 6 others like this.
  11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very nice!

old49er likes this.
  12. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

I also have a Beata Tranquillitas, Constantine II.
    RIC 382.
    c2.JPG c1.JPG

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  13. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Nice coin! As for the impressions in the reverse field, they’re a result of a die clash. See the link to @dougsmit s page about them here:
    https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/brock.html

“Clashed dies result when the dies are hammered together without a coin blank in place. The softer reverse die received a partial impression of the obverse.”

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  14. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

15. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

The VO/TIS/XX signifies Constantine's taking of vows to faithfully serves the empire for another 5 years. During this time, emperors took an oath of service every 5 years. After 15 years as emperor, Constantine renewed his for an additional 5-year period. My guess is that at the ceremony, Constantine took his vows over an alter similar to the one depicted on your coin.

My example:
    [​IMG]
    Treveri (Trier) mint, A.D. 322-323
    RIC 369
    Obv: CONSTAN-TINVS AVG
    Rev: BEATA TRAN-QVILLITAS - Globe on altar inscribed VO/TIS/XX; 3 stars above
    •PTR• in exergue
    20 mm, 4.2 g.

Edessa, Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted