Constantine I Arles mintmark P or T?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ken454, Apr 21, 2014.

1. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

i picked up this coin pictured below with sellers attribution, but on wildwinds, Arles mint 194 it states RIC VII not RIC VI as in sellers att. it also states it as a P mintmark not T. on my coin it looks like the top bar of the T as in the other pics on wildwinds, but they all have the bust facing left, since the only T busts are facing left does that mean mine has to be a P mark? thanks

ancient-ob.jpg ancient-rev.jpg ancient-1.jpg ancient-2.jpg Picture 406.jpg

wildwinds att.

Constantine I AE Follis. AD 306-337. Arles

Obv: IMP CONSTA-NTINVS AVG, helmeted, laureate and cuirassed

bust right.
    Rev: VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP, Two Victories holding
    shield inscribed VOT PR over altar; altar type Helvetica 2d
    (diamond with dot in centre, in a rectangle with a dot in
    each corner.

mintmark PARL.

RIC VII Arles 194; cf Sear 3883.

TJC and stevex6 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

its a worn P

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I looked this coin up in RIC, and it is indeed 194. 194 includes coins with both P and T officinae, and the bust faces to the right.

Although Dane is very thorough about attributions at Wildwinds, the site doesn't catalog every coin in RIC by a long shot - she posts whatever coins people submit, and the whole of RIC is far from being completely submitted.

I clearly see a serif on the right side of the crossbar, which would make it a T.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    ken454 likes this.
  5. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

yea i saw that serif as well, why i leaned toward T, just could not find a clear enough pic of a P to see what that looked like...

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Arles at this time used a series of workshops numbered by the first letter of the ordinal number. First was Primus or P, Second was Secundus or S, Third was Tertius or T. Catalogs like RIC often number only the one of the series (some mints had 15 workshops) and assume users of their works have read the introductions where this is explained. Each mint, each ruler, each year might see changes on exactly how this was done. PARL, SARL and TARL will all have the same RIC catalog number.

7. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

I see the serif...I blame cider, I was seeing two of everything last night!

ken454 and John Anthony like this.
  8. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

whoah, .......both coins are back again....damn barbeque's! and Somerset scrumpy!

John Anthony likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted